I have an older home where the prior occupants neglected the back yard. One of the problems is that the lawn is shot. There are more brown patches than grass. I would like to start over by tilling and replanting grass. My lawn is approx. 50 x 100. and 90% of the lawn will be in the sun all the time. I live in S. NJ. What are the steps involved and what type of grasses should I plant??
Kill the existing ground cover with Roundup or equivalent. Approx 3 weeks later skim the top 1-3 inches off with a bobcat. Bring in new loom and cover 3-4 inches deep. If not hydroseeding mix starter fertilizer and seed in unspread loom. Spread loom and grade. Keep damp for 2-3 weeks. Do not puddle. Try Kentucky bluegrass or Rye Grass in Northeast.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 11 Homemade Sheds to Fill Your Storage Needs
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight