I am a complete amateur when it comes to wiring, but am trying to learn to try to do things myself to avoid having to hire an electrician.
I bought an updated ceiling fan to replace the ceiling fan that was installed by the builders 10 years ago. The old fan was controlled by a 3-button wall switch with these buttons: Fan, For/Rev, and Light (and On/Off that controlled everything).
I removed the old fan and saw that there were 4 wires on the fan: black, white, blue, and green. In the ceiling there were 4 wires too: black, white, brown, and copper. They were attached as follows: black-black, white-white, brown-blue, copper-green.
When I put the new fan up, the instructions said that I should connect black-black+blue (black was fan hot, blue was light hot). At first I tried black-black and brown-blue like it was before, but only the fan would turn on, not the light. So I switched it to how the manual said, and both fan and lights work.
However, the whole unit (fan and lights) turn on when I hit the on/off switch on the wall, and the 3 buttons do nothing. I hear a slight "whir" in the fan when I do press the buttons, but nothing else happens. The pull strings work for on/off, but as it is on a vaulted ceiling, that really isn't an option for normal use in case we just want the lights or just want the fan on.
Did I buy the wrong type of ceiling fan that isn't compatible with the wall switch? Is there a different type of switch I can install in the wall to control the fan/light separately? If not, is there anything I can do to modify the fan so that it works with the switch?
Thanks for the help in advance!
bathroom fan keeps burning out
HELP PLEASE..Wall Switch
Wiring on ceiling/fan light combo with remote and in...
Wiring ceiling fan w/ 14-3 sheathed electrical cable
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Ways to Expand into Your Garage
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 12 Fresh Ideas for Your Kids' Room
- 11 Beautiful Clutter-Busting Closets