Crawl Space ?
What can I do to de-smell the soil and generally fix up the crawl space. I am more concerned with the 3 ft section since it is not used for storage.
Well, it depends. If the smell is in the dirt, itself, just because it's in a crawlspace, then you may need to 'encapsulate' the dirt. If, however, the smell if from the 'rotting stuff' that leaked into the dirt, then by removing it, and replacing it with 'fresh' dirt may help.
I'm not sure if pouring any type of 'chemicals' will work. I think you need to excavate the 'bad dirt' and replace it w/fresh dirt. The way to keep the crawlspace 'clean' is to ventilate it (assuming you're leaving it as a dirt crawl.) This will help to dry out the TOPmost portion of the dirt. You can start by introducing a dehumidifier to see how it goes. Beyond that, you need to cover it w/6 mil poly or concrete.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs