Crawl Space ?
What can I do to de-smell the soil and generally fix up the crawl space. I am more concerned with the 3 ft section since it is not used for storage.
Well, it depends. If the smell is in the dirt, itself, just because it's in a crawlspace, then you may need to 'encapsulate' the dirt. If, however, the smell if from the 'rotting stuff' that leaked into the dirt, then by removing it, and replacing it with 'fresh' dirt may help.
I'm not sure if pouring any type of 'chemicals' will work. I think you need to excavate the 'bad dirt' and replace it w/fresh dirt. The way to keep the crawlspace 'clean' is to ventilate it (assuming you're leaving it as a dirt crawl.) This will help to dry out the TOPmost portion of the dirt. You can start by introducing a dehumidifier to see how it goes. Beyond that, you need to cover it w/6 mil poly or concrete.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes