Crawl Space ?
What can I do to de-smell the soil and generally fix up the crawl space. I am more concerned with the 3 ft section since it is not used for storage.
Well, it depends. If the smell is in the dirt, itself, just because it's in a crawlspace, then you may need to 'encapsulate' the dirt. If, however, the smell if from the 'rotting stuff' that leaked into the dirt, then by removing it, and replacing it with 'fresh' dirt may help.
I'm not sure if pouring any type of 'chemicals' will work. I think you need to excavate the 'bad dirt' and replace it w/fresh dirt. The way to keep the crawlspace 'clean' is to ventilate it (assuming you're leaving it as a dirt crawl.) This will help to dry out the TOPmost portion of the dirt. You can start by introducing a dehumidifier to see how it goes. Beyond that, you need to cover it w/6 mil poly or concrete.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING