Crawl Space ?
What can I do to de-smell the soil and generally fix up the crawl space. I am more concerned with the 3 ft section since it is not used for storage.
Well, it depends. If the smell is in the dirt, itself, just because it's in a crawlspace, then you may need to 'encapsulate' the dirt. If, however, the smell if from the 'rotting stuff' that leaked into the dirt, then by removing it, and replacing it with 'fresh' dirt may help.
I'm not sure if pouring any type of 'chemicals' will work. I think you need to excavate the 'bad dirt' and replace it w/fresh dirt. The way to keep the crawlspace 'clean' is to ventilate it (assuming you're leaving it as a dirt crawl.) This will help to dry out the TOPmost portion of the dirt. You can start by introducing a dehumidifier to see how it goes. Beyond that, you need to cover it w/6 mil poly or concrete.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!