Crawl Space ?
What can I do to de-smell the soil and generally fix up the crawl space. I am more concerned with the 3 ft section since it is not used for storage.
Well, it depends. If the smell is in the dirt, itself, just because it's in a crawlspace, then you may need to 'encapsulate' the dirt. If, however, the smell if from the 'rotting stuff' that leaked into the dirt, then by removing it, and replacing it with 'fresh' dirt may help.
I'm not sure if pouring any type of 'chemicals' will work. I think you need to excavate the 'bad dirt' and replace it w/fresh dirt. The way to keep the crawlspace 'clean' is to ventilate it (assuming you're leaving it as a dirt crawl.) This will help to dry out the TOPmost portion of the dirt. You can start by introducing a dehumidifier to see how it goes. Beyond that, you need to cover it w/6 mil poly or concrete.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps