My home addition has an steel I-Beam running down the center of the ceiling and I plan on covering with a wood "box" so that it looks like a wooden beam. I've seen a home improvement show (not sure which) that had a company installing a faux ceiling beam system. Does anyone know of a company that does this or have an idea how I could build one myself?
Hi Carl, this is really fairly simple. First install some wood blocks to the I-beam every couple of feet, the blocks need to be flush with the bottom of the beam or can protrude a little bit. Second make your box (|_|) so that it will slip over the wood blocks, raise to ceiling and attach to the blocks with either nails or screws (personally I'd use screws). Done! Hope this helps, good luck!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight