This is new construction. I had the concrete slab poured 1 1/2" below floor level. I used a product called "Foundation Armour" to seal the concrete. I intent to T-nail 1x4 PT furring strips to the concrete. I will use "Liquid Nails" and screws to secure the plywood to the furring strips. I will staple 15lb felt paper to cover the plywood and install 3/4" redwood oak flooring (not manufactured) as the finished product.
I would appreciate any input you may have on this process, like do I really need to use PT plywood, type nails, etc. My main concern is moisture. I live in Florida, the slab is on grade, and I have excellent drainage with no rivers or other bodies of water nearby. The sealer I have used is sprayed on the concrete. It is lithium silicate which is supposed to react with the free calcium and natural lime to form a crystalline structure within the pores of the concrete. This results in filling the capillary tracks thus rendering the concrete waterproof. I'm a bit skeptical about this and wonder whether I should use add poly-sheeting on top of the concrete just to be safe?
I fell it's great to have an expert to help us DIY's. Thanks.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!