sump pump holes
When i looked at the drywall there was no visible damage or sign that this was a common problem.So a friend was telling me that the underground drain around the house has to breath and the sump pump cap should be off at all times unless u get a large and unusualy heavy rain fall.
Could someone please tell me if i should leave it of till then or is this just asking for trouble.
Thank you for your response.
Now, perimeter drains do, indeed, get clogged if not designed and installed properly, or maintained from time to time. Fine particles from surrounding soils and tree roots from nearby trees can be cause for clogs. That would have little to do with your sump pump cap.
When installing any perimeter or foundation drain, one should try to provide a "clean-out" after every 2 pipe bends. The "clean-out" is basically a vertical riser from the drain line up to grade with a "wye" connection at the drain pipe, into which a snake or other cleaning mechanism can be introduced to rout out the roots or other debris.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs