sump pump holes
When i looked at the drywall there was no visible damage or sign that this was a common problem.So a friend was telling me that the underground drain around the house has to breath and the sump pump cap should be off at all times unless u get a large and unusualy heavy rain fall.
Could someone please tell me if i should leave it of till then or is this just asking for trouble.
Thank you for your response.
Now, perimeter drains do, indeed, get clogged if not designed and installed properly, or maintained from time to time. Fine particles from surrounding soils and tree roots from nearby trees can be cause for clogs. That would have little to do with your sump pump cap.
When installing any perimeter or foundation drain, one should try to provide a "clean-out" after every 2 pipe bends. The "clean-out" is basically a vertical riser from the drain line up to grade with a "wye" connection at the drain pipe, into which a snake or other cleaning mechanism can be introduced to rout out the roots or other debris.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!