sump pump holes
When i looked at the drywall there was no visible damage or sign that this was a common problem.So a friend was telling me that the underground drain around the house has to breath and the sump pump cap should be off at all times unless u get a large and unusualy heavy rain fall.
Could someone please tell me if i should leave it of till then or is this just asking for trouble.
Thank you for your response.
Now, perimeter drains do, indeed, get clogged if not designed and installed properly, or maintained from time to time. Fine particles from surrounding soils and tree roots from nearby trees can be cause for clogs. That would have little to do with your sump pump cap.
When installing any perimeter or foundation drain, one should try to provide a "clean-out" after every 2 pipe bends. The "clean-out" is basically a vertical riser from the drain line up to grade with a "wye" connection at the drain pipe, into which a snake or other cleaning mechanism can be introduced to rout out the roots or other debris.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps