The shingles around the stink pipe on the roof of my cape are discolored and "wrinkled" looking. I have a small stain on the ceiling under where these shingles are.
What is the best way to seal off this area to stop any further moisture?
Do I just get a tube of roofing cement/tar and put that under the existing shingles or do I need to replace the shingles and reflash around the stink pipe? Any help would be tremendous! Thanks!
The stink pipe you are referring to is the termination of the vent stack. Normally a special collar slips over the pipe itself and the flashing part on the base of the collar needs to be tucked under a run of shingles, nailed with roofing nails,then mucked over. A quick-fix would be pure 100% silicone applied all around the vent pipe and flashing. Hope this helps you out some, please post back and tell us the final outcome, Tom
Leaky Roof - Can I Patch it Until a Pro Can Fix it?
CASTIRON SEPTIC PIPE
foundation leak around water supply pipe
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!