I have a 50-year-old house with one side, about 12 feet, of my basement wall that will dampen heavily during long rains. I am certain the old, tile footer drain is clogged or just plan broken. Done the usual and dug up all downspout drains and checked for leaks and cemented the PVC. Verified it all drains to the street just fine. Positive slope from the house, BUT I can only slope it about 5 feet from the foundation where there is a retaining wall (not mine) on the property line and it affectively stops the water movement and I have heavy clay soil, so it sits there.
I don't have the money for excavation and repair, but one option I considered trying was digging outside and repairing any cracks then taking a heavy 30-45 mill poly sheet of plastic and use it to funnel the surface water to either a french drain along the retaining wall and connect it to the 4" downspout pipe going to the street or a dry-well about 25 feet to the front yard. I know that I have read it is a bad idea to use plastic, especially close to the surface to move water away from getting into the soil by the foundation, but what other options can any of you think of to try??
Thanks for any advice you can bring to the table. Dave
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight