COMMUNITY FORUM

gooch1

11:42AM | 08/03/04
Member Since: 08/02/04
2 lifetime posts
Bvbasement
My finished area downstairs had some mold which seemed as if it had the potential to run out of control.

I cleaned it up using bleach and purchased a dehumidifier to keep the humidity down.

I also looked into an ozone generator. This is not something that runs constantly to “purify” the air and irritate my lungs. It is made to be used with no people or plants in the room as it is capable of generating 4325 mg. of ozone per hour. I have heard that this is a very effective way of killing the residual mold and mold spores it comes in contact with.

Has anyone out there used one of these heavy duty machines?

How well did it work?

Many thanks in advance for taking the time to answer this posting.


norwegiangirl

04:58AM | 08/13/04
Member Since: 08/11/04
7 lifetime posts
Hi!

I'm not an expert of any kind, but we did have one bad patch of mold, and a few scattered small pathces, in our basement during renovation. We called in an actual mold-specializing cleanup crew for a consultation.

They tested our mold in the lab, and it was stachybotros: the "toxic mold" that has been in the news lately. But by that time our contractor had already ripped out the section that had the mold -- normally the experts would have done that under negative pressure, to contain any spores from kicking up and bothering people who might be sensitized to the mold. Oh well.

These guys were very nice, not looking to drum up business. Mainly, they gave us information on what we should do ourselves.

Anyway: this is the sequence they recommmended.

1. Identify the cause of the mold! Even though basements are always damp, if there's mold in one specific area it may be because there's a gap in your foundation, or in the area where the foundation meets the rest of the house. The latter was true for us: our basement is a walk-out in a split level, the area of the mold is one where the foundation had not been extended far enough -- so the ground was touching wood (bad news). Also, at the end of our renovation we need to deepen our gutters and re-grade the slope, to encourage water to drain away from the house and foundation. Maybe you just have a generally damp basement... but just in case. Leaky pipes are another frequent culprit, if you have any pipes runnning through the ceiling or walls of your basement.

2. Replace replaceable parts that have mold (drywall, etc.)

3. If there's mold on the studs, these should be scrubbed clean: they gave me a specific detergent recommendation, I forget what it was. They also said a bleach solution afterwards would be okay. Same if the mold is directly on the foundation.

4. Ozone: they specifically recommended NOT using ozone generators or ozone air purifiers. I didn't go into detail with them on this, since we hadn't planned to anyway.

5. They DID recommend renting or buying a HEPA vacuum cleaner, and vacuuming the entire affected area to suck up whatever spores are on the surface. Many of these molds have spores that actually don't get airborne. They spread when insects, rodents, whatever, skitter across the mold spores and carry them with them to other areas. So vacuuming with a HEPA vacuum cleaner can be more effective than using a HEPA air filter.

After we did all this, the moldy smell in that spot of the basement, which had been there as long as we had the house (we just didn't know!) was completely gone! And can I tell you how much we love that vacuum cleaner now?

I completely freaked out about the idea of having toxic mold, but they reassured me that as long as the source of the moisture was fixed, and the mold properly cleaned up, it should be okay.

Since we're renovating, and there's useable space in the basement, I'm trying to learn more about what materials to use, which not to use, in order to discourage future mold.

Anyway, the above is not meant as advice or a prescription, but just to give you a sense of what advice was given to us when we called people in.

Good luck!

norwegiangirl

05:04AM | 08/13/04
Member Since: 08/11/04
7 lifetime posts
I should add that I think their main reason for discouraging the use of ozone generators was because of their harm to inhabitants -- so I never brought up the subject of using a generator like yours, meant to blast all living things while humans and pets evacuate!

One thing they did stress, though, is that addressing the moisture is the critical part -- since the mold came from somewhere else before, and will come back again if it finds the right conditions of water + food.
Click_to_reply_button
Inspiration_banner

INSPIRATION GALLERY



Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply_choose_button

Anonymous

Post_new_button or Login_button
Register

If you're on the fence (or on a budget), there’s always the old standby—paint. A change in color can have a huge impact on... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... The Audubon Society inspired wallpaper in this Adirondack-styled entryway will get you in the outdoor mood. Grab your coat... Chalkboard paint opens up endless possibilities for customizing your dresser time and time again. Use chalk to label the c... A fireplace in the bathroom creates the ultimate setting for relaxation. Homeowners often choose electric or gas over wood... Yes, a freestanding garage can become its own tiny house. Artist Michelle de la Vega has all the comforts of a modern resi... There’s nothing like a new set of cabinet hardware to refresh a room. The possibilities are endless: Go modern, rustic, or... A kitchen in a greenhouse—who wouldn't enjoy spending time in this light-filled space? Details that enhance the conservato... Chalkboard paint features prominently in this elegant yet unpretentious headboard design. Add a new message daily to reflec... Twine lanterns add pops of crafty—but sophisticated—flair to any outdoor setting. Wrap glue-soaked twine around a balloon ... The indecisive homeowner need not fret over choosing one (or even two) cabinet colors. The kitchen cabinets in this artist... Incorporate nature into your lighting scheme by securing a dead tree in a concrete mold and draping your pendant lamp from... Simple and striking, a couple of pieces of "lovingly used" furniture creates a special kind of charm. A weathered chair fo... The Infinite Artisan Fire Bowl from Eldorado Outdoor is made from glass-fiber reinforced concrete, and offered in Oak Barr... The vibrant green of Granny Smith apples make a beautifully natural alternative to the traditional evergreen wreath. Brigh...
Follow_banner_a
Newsletter_icon Google_plus Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss_icon
 
webapp2