We've found a leak in the basement of our 90+ year old Victorian home. The leak seems to be coming up through the floor where it meets the exterior wall. We've begun parading waterproofing contractors through for estimates but have be unable to get an unbiased opinion of what needs to be done. If it needs to be done from the exterior, we'll do it, but if it doesn't, we'd rather spend less money on an interior repair. Any advice?
what do ya mean..'less money' on a interior repair? Says who? Them?? lol
this is a MYTH! too many have and continue to redundantly state an outside method is way more expensive than an inside method, its NONSENSE!
believe what you like. If you have 1 area of a basement wall that has a crack or Other outside openings in the wall and/or 'above' the wall, they should be correctly sealed/fixed Outside, but, ONLY that particular area of the wall where there is a problem, know what i mean??
Dont buy the crap from Many who tell ya that by fixing 1 area then you will soon leak in another area, thats bs.
IF you have a crack/opening in another area, at this point in time, you would be leaking there!! right? Think about it.
Sure, a crack etc could occur in another part of the wall in future and, a crack may NOT occur in future. If it did, then fix that area in the future, dont let them twist `n turn words/distort/bs to support an obviously self serving position.
Now, if you have a problem UNDER the floor and NO problem w/ the wall or Above the wall Outside, then the First thing i`d recommend to you/others is to find a good/honest plumber to try `n snake under the floor & see if they can free up a possible blockage under the floor which, does indeed happen fairly often but also can many times be un-clogged by snaking, when possible. When possible means, not all homes have storm traps etc to allow the opportunity to snake.
Define exactly what the Reason is that you are getting water in, then fix it Correctly, but Never Assume!!Not in this business.
Call me if you wish, here to help, let me know
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 10 Secret Rooms & Passages in Ordinary Homes
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers