RADON GAS, block basement walls
How does Radon get into my home?
..."Is your house airtight? Very few are, especially older homes-and especially if the foundation or any of the WALLS are built with concrete BLOCKS, which are PARTICULARLY POROUS to Radon. But the gas can also seep in through basement floor drains,cracks in the floor or foundation and under the furnace base."
Hollow-block walls....are porous to radon, and then add the FACT many have cracks `n other openings on the OUTSIDE of the Hollow-block and, many companies who only-rather install INSIDE drain tile/baseboard systems w/sumps that drill HOLES in the hollow blocks on inside, yeah they sure do.
They don`t seal/waterproof the OUTSIDE of cracks `n other openings/crevices and again, they`ve been drilling Holes in YOUR hollow block walls AND, many also leave openings/GAPS along the floor & wall, along the cove of YOUR basement.
Now, what can enter through hollow-block walls and up through openings in the basement floor? Yeah, Exactly!
2nd para..." the major points of radon ENTRY are the cracks, joints and other penetrations. It is THESE openings in WALLS that allow soil-gas to ENTER the building".
Gotta remember that at-best, MOST basement walls new and old are ONLY damproofed, NOT Waterproofed on the Outside and they are not backfilled with all peastone-gravel.
Oh, and painting your bsmt walls won`t hurt BUT, it also cannot stop/prevent radon/water etc from entering through Outside cracks and other openings in HOLLOW-block walls.
"radon gas can enter a home from the SOIL THROUGH cracks in floors and walls,floor drains, sump pumps,construction joints and tiny cracks or pores in Hollow-block walls"
How radon enters your house
a)cracks in concrete slabs
b)spaces behind brick veneer walls that rest on uncapped hollow brick foundation
c)pores and cracks in concrete blocks
e)exposed soil, as in a sump
f)weeping drain tile,if drained to open sump
g)mortar joints etc.....
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!