RADON GAS, block basement walls
How does Radon get into my home?
..."Is your house airtight? Very few are, especially older homes-and especially if the foundation or any of the WALLS are built with concrete BLOCKS, which are PARTICULARLY POROUS to Radon. But the gas can also seep in through basement floor drains,cracks in the floor or foundation and under the furnace base."
Hollow-block walls....are porous to radon, and then add the FACT many have cracks `n other openings on the OUTSIDE of the Hollow-block and, many companies who only-rather install INSIDE drain tile/baseboard systems w/sumps that drill HOLES in the hollow blocks on inside, yeah they sure do.
They don`t seal/waterproof the OUTSIDE of cracks `n other openings/crevices and again, they`ve been drilling Holes in YOUR hollow block walls AND, many also leave openings/GAPS along the floor & wall, along the cove of YOUR basement.
Now, what can enter through hollow-block walls and up through openings in the basement floor? Yeah, Exactly!
2nd para..." the major points of radon ENTRY are the cracks, joints and other penetrations. It is THESE openings in WALLS that allow soil-gas to ENTER the building".
Gotta remember that at-best, MOST basement walls new and old are ONLY damproofed, NOT Waterproofed on the Outside and they are not backfilled with all peastone-gravel.
Oh, and painting your bsmt walls won`t hurt BUT, it also cannot stop/prevent radon/water etc from entering through Outside cracks and other openings in HOLLOW-block walls.
"radon gas can enter a home from the SOIL THROUGH cracks in floors and walls,floor drains, sump pumps,construction joints and tiny cracks or pores in Hollow-block walls"
How radon enters your house
a)cracks in concrete slabs
b)spaces behind brick veneer walls that rest on uncapped hollow brick foundation
c)pores and cracks in concrete blocks
e)exposed soil, as in a sump
f)weeping drain tile,if drained to open sump
g)mortar joints etc.....
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs