I have an 80 year old house and my basement is completely dry, I don't get any water at all in it. The foundation is stone covered with a plaster/sand mix. The covering is drying out and flaking off. I want to finish the basement, do I need to do any kind of repair to this or can I just put the walls up over the stone? The covering doesn't actually come off unless touched. I hope someone answers this, there seem to be several postings over the years regarding this sand/plaster mix flaking off but no one responds. It can't possibly be something never dealt with - of course I think it is more related to a dry basement than a wet one...
I do not have experience with your type of wall, but if you are planning on putting up walls, why bother fixing anything? If you want to help prevent the wall from crumbling a coat of paint may help. However, if you do have moisture in the walls, the paint would not let it escape. I do not think there is a definative answer, so do what you fell most comfortable doing since once you button up the walls, you will be living there.
bowing basement walls
basement walls deteriating
Painting poured concrete basement walls (Stamped Bri...
painting poured concrete basement walls
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight