I just moved into a house that is 10 years old in the Midwest. There is a constant trickle of water that flows in the sump pit at all times. I have never lived in the house where this occurs.
Typically, the sump pump runs about once every 30 minutes for about 20 seconds. When it is really dry (i.e. during the summer) it may not run for up to an hour. HOWEVER, during times of rain, the sump pump could go off every 5 to 8 minutes....we just had a 2" rain and the sump pump has been going off every 6 to 7 minutes for the past 24 hours.
I have spoken with several local inspectors and plumbers and all say that water running into the sump pit is "normal" especially for my area of town as there seems to be a higher water table (at least that is the theory).
All my gutter drains are well away from the house...however there is some negative grading on one side of the house. My house also seems to sit a little lower as compared to the houses on either side of me.
My sump pit has 2 main sump pumps that are on an "alternator" that alternates their use. There is also a battery back-up...for a total of 3 pumps.
I have looked at other message boards of people trying to figure out a similar issue.....seems like there is not really a solution.
I am paranoid of finding a flooded basement some day.
Am I too paranoid, or does everything seem normal?
I guess I am destined to hear the sump pump run every 30 minutes for the rest of my life.....thoughts?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda