I just moved into a house that is 10 years old in the Midwest. There is a constant trickle of water that flows in the sump pit at all times. I have never lived in the house where this occurs.
Typically, the sump pump runs about once every 30 minutes for about 20 seconds. When it is really dry (i.e. during the summer) it may not run for up to an hour. HOWEVER, during times of rain, the sump pump could go off every 5 to 8 minutes....we just had a 2" rain and the sump pump has been going off every 6 to 7 minutes for the past 24 hours.
I have spoken with several local inspectors and plumbers and all say that water running into the sump pit is "normal" especially for my area of town as there seems to be a higher water table (at least that is the theory).
All my gutter drains are well away from the house...however there is some negative grading on one side of the house. My house also seems to sit a little lower as compared to the houses on either side of me.
My sump pit has 2 main sump pumps that are on an "alternator" that alternates their use. There is also a battery back-up...for a total of 3 pumps.
I have looked at other message boards of people trying to figure out a similar issue.....seems like there is not really a solution.
I am paranoid of finding a flooded basement some day.
Am I too paranoid, or does everything seem normal?
I guess I am destined to hear the sump pump run every 30 minutes for the rest of my life.....thoughts?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love