I just moved into a house that is 10 years old in the Midwest. There is a constant trickle of water that flows in the sump pit at all times. I have never lived in the house where this occurs.
Typically, the sump pump runs about once every 30 minutes for about 20 seconds. When it is really dry (i.e. during the summer) it may not run for up to an hour. HOWEVER, during times of rain, the sump pump could go off every 5 to 8 minutes....we just had a 2" rain and the sump pump has been going off every 6 to 7 minutes for the past 24 hours.
I have spoken with several local inspectors and plumbers and all say that water running into the sump pit is "normal" especially for my area of town as there seems to be a higher water table (at least that is the theory).
All my gutter drains are well away from the house...however there is some negative grading on one side of the house. My house also seems to sit a little lower as compared to the houses on either side of me.
My sump pit has 2 main sump pumps that are on an "alternator" that alternates their use. There is also a battery back-up...for a total of 3 pumps.
I have looked at other message boards of people trying to figure out a similar issue.....seems like there is not really a solution.
I am paranoid of finding a flooded basement some day.
Am I too paranoid, or does everything seem normal?
I guess I am destined to hear the sump pump run every 30 minutes for the rest of my life.....thoughts?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY