I just moved into a house that is 10 years old in the Midwest. There is a constant trickle of water that flows in the sump pit at all times. I have never lived in the house where this occurs.
Typically, the sump pump runs about once every 30 minutes for about 20 seconds. When it is really dry (i.e. during the summer) it may not run for up to an hour. HOWEVER, during times of rain, the sump pump could go off every 5 to 8 minutes....we just had a 2" rain and the sump pump has been going off every 6 to 7 minutes for the past 24 hours.
I have spoken with several local inspectors and plumbers and all say that water running into the sump pit is "normal" especially for my area of town as there seems to be a higher water table (at least that is the theory).
All my gutter drains are well away from the house...however there is some negative grading on one side of the house. My house also seems to sit a little lower as compared to the houses on either side of me.
My sump pit has 2 main sump pumps that are on an "alternator" that alternates their use. There is also a battery back-up...for a total of 3 pumps.
I have looked at other message boards of people trying to figure out a similar issue.....seems like there is not really a solution.
I am paranoid of finding a flooded basement some day.
Am I too paranoid, or does everything seem normal?
I guess I am destined to hear the sump pump run every 30 minutes for the rest of my life.....thoughts?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!