"Mineral Insulation" in older home
We recently purchased a house built in 1948. The previous owners left us the complete set of plans for the house. On the plans, is a note stating the insulation in the attic is "mineral insulation". It is a gray loose fill insulation. Is there any chance there is asbestos in this insulation? Should we be concerned it might be harmful? The attic is completely floored so it is covered. Some of it has gotten into the house during renovation.
The chance of asbestos being in mineral wool is slight at best. You need to have more concern over the Floor covering, Heating insulation, Siding than the mineral wool.
Asbestos is a white feathery looking fiber when it is used by itself. It is not likely that the mineral insulation has asbestos in it but the only way to be 100% certain would be to have a sample tested.
If the insulation is vermiculite - a mineral that pops like popcorn when heated - it is possibly contaminated with asbestos. About 70% of the world's supply came from the W.R. Grace company's Libby, Montana mine. This was contaminated with tremolite, the most lethal form of asbestos.
Removal or disturbance of this stuff (it's a loose, lightweight gray pebble material with no visible fibers) could be extremely hazardous. I've read about testing, but I don't remember where. Good luck!
Insulation in Bungalow with finished upstairs bedroom.
Insulation in garage ceiling
Insulation in new home
cellulose insulation in walls
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY