"Mineral Insulation" in older home
We recently purchased a house built in 1948. The previous owners left us the complete set of plans for the house. On the plans, is a note stating the insulation in the attic is "mineral insulation". It is a gray loose fill insulation. Is there any chance there is asbestos in this insulation? Should we be concerned it might be harmful? The attic is completely floored so it is covered. Some of it has gotten into the house during renovation.
The chance of asbestos being in mineral wool is slight at best. You need to have more concern over the Floor covering, Heating insulation, Siding than the mineral wool.
Asbestos is a white feathery looking fiber when it is used by itself. It is not likely that the mineral insulation has asbestos in it but the only way to be 100% certain would be to have a sample tested.
If the insulation is vermiculite - a mineral that pops like popcorn when heated - it is possibly contaminated with asbestos. About 70% of the world's supply came from the W.R. Grace company's Libby, Montana mine. This was contaminated with tremolite, the most lethal form of asbestos.
Removal or disturbance of this stuff (it's a loose, lightweight gray pebble material with no visible fibers) could be extremely hazardous. I've read about testing, but I don't remember where. Good luck!
Insulation in Bungalow with finished upstairs bedroom.
Insulation in garage ceiling
Insulation in new home
cellulose insulation in walls
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 5 Things to Do with... Colanders
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps