"Mineral Insulation" in older home
We recently purchased a house built in 1948. The previous owners left us the complete set of plans for the house. On the plans, is a note stating the insulation in the attic is "mineral insulation". It is a gray loose fill insulation. Is there any chance there is asbestos in this insulation? Should we be concerned it might be harmful? The attic is completely floored so it is covered. Some of it has gotten into the house during renovation.
The chance of asbestos being in mineral wool is slight at best. You need to have more concern over the Floor covering, Heating insulation, Siding than the mineral wool.
Asbestos is a white feathery looking fiber when it is used by itself. It is not likely that the mineral insulation has asbestos in it but the only way to be 100% certain would be to have a sample tested.
If the insulation is vermiculite - a mineral that pops like popcorn when heated - it is possibly contaminated with asbestos. About 70% of the world's supply came from the W.R. Grace company's Libby, Montana mine. This was contaminated with tremolite, the most lethal form of asbestos.
Removal or disturbance of this stuff (it's a loose, lightweight gray pebble material with no visible fibers) could be extremely hazardous. I've read about testing, but I don't remember where. Good luck!
Insulation in Bungalow with finished upstairs bedroom.
Insulation in garage ceiling
Insulation in new home
cellulose insulation in walls
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight