I'm in the planning stage of renovating/finishing a "mud room"
that seems to be an addition to the original home (one interior wall is covered with the exerior siding).
the 3 other walls and floor are not finished and not insulated (exposed studs). the mud room is built on a block foundation with a dirt floor(i think) all above grade. the only venting seems to be from the opening around the 4 stairs leading from the outside up in to the mud room.
I've read many ways/suggestion on how to insulate a crawl spce but none seem to address crawl spaces above grade.
general consensus says to put down a vapor barrier (plastic sheeting) on the dirt floor and insulate between the joists. which seems to be the best way for my situation.
Heating ductwork isn't in the crawl space and water lines for clothes washer/sink probably wont be coming up from the floor but probably through the wall.
The mud room floor is going to ripped up so i am up for any suggestions. maybe seal up all venting areas and insulate the walls so i can run water/electric lines where i want to?
what seems like the best way to do this?
thanks in advance
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs