I'm in the planning stage of renovating/finishing a "mud room"
that seems to be an addition to the original home (one interior wall is covered with the exerior siding).
the 3 other walls and floor are not finished and not insulated (exposed studs). the mud room is built on a block foundation with a dirt floor(i think) all above grade. the only venting seems to be from the opening around the 4 stairs leading from the outside up in to the mud room.
I've read many ways/suggestion on how to insulate a crawl spce but none seem to address crawl spaces above grade.
general consensus says to put down a vapor barrier (plastic sheeting) on the dirt floor and insulate between the joists. which seems to be the best way for my situation.
Heating ductwork isn't in the crawl space and water lines for clothes washer/sink probably wont be coming up from the floor but probably through the wall.
The mud room floor is going to ripped up so i am up for any suggestions. maybe seal up all venting areas and insulate the walls so i can run water/electric lines where i want to?
what seems like the best way to do this?
thanks in advance
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!