I'm in the planning stage of renovating/finishing a "mud room"
that seems to be an addition to the original home (one interior wall is covered with the exerior siding).
the 3 other walls and floor are not finished and not insulated (exposed studs). the mud room is built on a block foundation with a dirt floor(i think) all above grade. the only venting seems to be from the opening around the 4 stairs leading from the outside up in to the mud room.
I've read many ways/suggestion on how to insulate a crawl spce but none seem to address crawl spaces above grade.
general consensus says to put down a vapor barrier (plastic sheeting) on the dirt floor and insulate between the joists. which seems to be the best way for my situation.
Heating ductwork isn't in the crawl space and water lines for clothes washer/sink probably wont be coming up from the floor but probably through the wall.
The mud room floor is going to ripped up so i am up for any suggestions. maybe seal up all venting areas and insulate the walls so i can run water/electric lines where i want to?
what seems like the best way to do this?
thanks in advance
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps