Help - my wood windows are rotting!
I can understand your frustration BUT the key to this problem is to find the CAUSE of the rot.
Is it from leaking/missing gutters? Is it from missing/loose caulking? Is the water running BEHIND the siding?
If it's just the window and/or frame that's rotting, the problem should be easily solvable. BUT, you have to find out the SOURCE of where the water is coming from. DON'T discount that it's running BEHIND the siding and 'showing up' at the window.
Once you've found the source/cause, I think that will tell you if what you do will have to be done in 7 years again. Your situation is IMO abnormal (unless you live in a wooden submarine ...)
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J- Moderator
PS: You may consider 'capping' the wood but if the water is problem isn't solved, it may STILL rot the underlying wood! Again, fix the cause. THAT will be $$$ well spent!
As I understand it you have T & G siding that sounds to me that it is not flashed properly around the windows.
I you have the 908 casing, or brick molding, replaced, I would make sure I had the flashing replaced. This is not hard to do and should not cost that much extra.
Replacement windows will have to butt up against something on the outside of your house, what did the window company plan to do?
I would reflash and replace the casing and prime and paint the casing all in one job!
To Lintel or Not to Lintel!
How can I tell whether I can use direct replacement ...
My windows are stuck!
Aluminum Storm Windows
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers