I used to sell thousands of Certainteed windows but, I changed occupations.
This is what I would recomend you do,
I would probably buy the mechanical frame with welded sashes. Once the frame is installed, shimmed, screwed into place, it's not going to move!
The most important thing that you need to worry about is that the frames are shimmed properly so the sashes have a nice snug fit.
A welded frame will have to have the same installation process. So, there is no advantage as far as fit or installation for a welded frame.
The sashes do all the work so, you should have welded sashes. They are attached to the glass all the way around and are very strong.
Both windows should have the stainless steel coil balance system.
Now* Low e glass with argon gas.
Here's the deal!
Low e glass is good for saving on heat and a/c. It also helps to reduce fading of curtains rugs etc.
Argon gas will dissapate in about five years or so and I have yet to figure out where it goes in a sealed unit but, it does.
You need to look at the cost of the mechanical frame, welded sash with Low e, vs the all welded with low e and argon.
I think you will find yourself saving some money!
Ps. I had Certainteed in my old house and now have "Harvey Classics" in my new home.
I don't know about thier sliding doors because the licenced manufacturer in my area did not make them.
The windows, as I have stated, are fine.
But, this does bring up a subject that you may want to look into.
Find out where these windows are going to be made and how many licenced manufacturers there are in your area.
There are three in my area. They must buy all the parts from Certainteed and meet thier standards.
I would be surprized if they did not stand behind any problems that you "might" have.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda