I had a broken pipe in an space under my BR that sits over our garage. I have torn out everything and I was able to see how it was put together. There is a vent that goes into the area to provide heat but the space wasn't insulated very well.
I am going to spray foam the underfloor of the bathroom hitting the joist on the outside wall as well as covering a good portion of the pipes. I won't be able to cover all of the pipes since a few of them hang low and kind of out in the air. I have put foam tube insulation around them all.
When I took down the drywall they had R19 fiberglass between the ceiling hangers to insulate the area. There was a lot of dirt on them when I took them out so you know air was going through the batts.
My thought is to put rigid foam between the hangers instead of batts so it would be an airtight seal, I would also seal along the edges of the foam with spray foam. If I do this though what R value do I try to get. Since it is foam it is more effective than fiberglass and there should be less air flow. So if I use 2" foam board that is an R 10 is that enough? It would be difficult to double up and use 2 2" boards due to space constraints. I might be able to do a 2" and a 1 1/2" board together.
Sorry for the long post, I guess my question is since they perform so differently how do you know what R value would be necessary for this situation?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight