I had a broken pipe in an space under my BR that sits over our garage. I have torn out everything and I was able to see how it was put together. There is a vent that goes into the area to provide heat but the space wasn't insulated very well.
I am going to spray foam the underfloor of the bathroom hitting the joist on the outside wall as well as covering a good portion of the pipes. I won't be able to cover all of the pipes since a few of them hang low and kind of out in the air. I have put foam tube insulation around them all.
When I took down the drywall they had R19 fiberglass between the ceiling hangers to insulate the area. There was a lot of dirt on them when I took them out so you know air was going through the batts.
My thought is to put rigid foam between the hangers instead of batts so it would be an airtight seal, I would also seal along the edges of the foam with spray foam. If I do this though what R value do I try to get. Since it is foam it is more effective than fiberglass and there should be less air flow. So if I use 2" foam board that is an R 10 is that enough? It would be difficult to double up and use 2 2" boards due to space constraints. I might be able to do a 2" and a 1 1/2" board together.
Sorry for the long post, I guess my question is since they perform so differently how do you know what R value would be necessary for this situation?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs