I had a broken pipe in an space under my BR that sits over our garage. I have torn out everything and I was able to see how it was put together. There is a vent that goes into the area to provide heat but the space wasn't insulated very well.
I am going to spray foam the underfloor of the bathroom hitting the joist on the outside wall as well as covering a good portion of the pipes. I won't be able to cover all of the pipes since a few of them hang low and kind of out in the air. I have put foam tube insulation around them all.
When I took down the drywall they had R19 fiberglass between the ceiling hangers to insulate the area. There was a lot of dirt on them when I took them out so you know air was going through the batts.
My thought is to put rigid foam between the hangers instead of batts so it would be an airtight seal, I would also seal along the edges of the foam with spray foam. If I do this though what R value do I try to get. Since it is foam it is more effective than fiberglass and there should be less air flow. So if I use 2" foam board that is an R 10 is that enough? It would be difficult to double up and use 2 2" boards due to space constraints. I might be able to do a 2" and a 1 1/2" board together.
Sorry for the long post, I guess my question is since they perform so differently how do you know what R value would be necessary for this situation?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes