I had a broken pipe in an space under my BR that sits over our garage. I have torn out everything and I was able to see how it was put together. There is a vent that goes into the area to provide heat but the space wasn't insulated very well.
I am going to spray foam the underfloor of the bathroom hitting the joist on the outside wall as well as covering a good portion of the pipes. I won't be able to cover all of the pipes since a few of them hang low and kind of out in the air. I have put foam tube insulation around them all.
When I took down the drywall they had R19 fiberglass between the ceiling hangers to insulate the area. There was a lot of dirt on them when I took them out so you know air was going through the batts.
My thought is to put rigid foam between the hangers instead of batts so it would be an airtight seal, I would also seal along the edges of the foam with spray foam. If I do this though what R value do I try to get. Since it is foam it is more effective than fiberglass and there should be less air flow. So if I use 2" foam board that is an R 10 is that enough? It would be difficult to double up and use 2 2" boards due to space constraints. I might be able to do a 2" and a 1 1/2" board together.
Sorry for the long post, I guess my question is since they perform so differently how do you know what R value would be necessary for this situation?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs