I have some air leaking around the edge of the wooden outside door on my 1940 house. The door has a piece of metal around part of the edge, which is curved so it somewhat interlocks with the door frame. Not only does this not keep out the draft, it is not all the way around.
So I bought some foam weatherstripping and installed it on the door frame. Specifically, it is on the part of the frame which presses against the outside surface of the door. This helped, but not enough.
So then I bought some of the weatherstripping which has a flat strip of metal with a rubber tube attached to one edge. I fastened this to the door frame so that when the door is closed the rubber presses against the outside surface of the door. Unfortunately, that is not working out.
The problem is that if I adjust the metal strip so the rubber tube is compressed when the door is closed, then the door is too hard to close, especially for my 90-year-old mother. She can't push the door hard enough to make the latch catch. But if I loosen the seal enough that the door is easy to close, air leaks around the edge of the door.
So my question is: Is there a kind of weatherstripping that seals tightly but still makes the door easy to close?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY