I have some air leaking around the edge of the wooden outside door on my 1940 house. The door has a piece of metal around part of the edge, which is curved so it somewhat interlocks with the door frame. Not only does this not keep out the draft, it is not all the way around.
So I bought some foam weatherstripping and installed it on the door frame. Specifically, it is on the part of the frame which presses against the outside surface of the door. This helped, but not enough.
So then I bought some of the weatherstripping which has a flat strip of metal with a rubber tube attached to one edge. I fastened this to the door frame so that when the door is closed the rubber presses against the outside surface of the door. Unfortunately, that is not working out.
The problem is that if I adjust the metal strip so the rubber tube is compressed when the door is closed, then the door is too hard to close, especially for my 90-year-old mother. She can't push the door hard enough to make the latch catch. But if I loosen the seal enough that the door is easy to close, air leaks around the edge of the door.
So my question is: Is there a kind of weatherstripping that seals tightly but still makes the door easy to close?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 5 Things to Do with... Colanders
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps