I have some air leaking around the edge of the wooden outside door on my 1940 house. The door has a piece of metal around part of the edge, which is curved so it somewhat interlocks with the door frame. Not only does this not keep out the draft, it is not all the way around.
So I bought some foam weatherstripping and installed it on the door frame. Specifically, it is on the part of the frame which presses against the outside surface of the door. This helped, but not enough.
So then I bought some of the weatherstripping which has a flat strip of metal with a rubber tube attached to one edge. I fastened this to the door frame so that when the door is closed the rubber presses against the outside surface of the door. Unfortunately, that is not working out.
The problem is that if I adjust the metal strip so the rubber tube is compressed when the door is closed, then the door is too hard to close, especially for my 90-year-old mother. She can't push the door hard enough to make the latch catch. But if I loosen the seal enough that the door is easy to close, air leaks around the edge of the door.
So my question is: Is there a kind of weatherstripping that seals tightly but still makes the door easy to close?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!