I have some air leaking around the edge of the wooden outside door on my 1940 house. The door has a piece of metal around part of the edge, which is curved so it somewhat interlocks with the door frame. Not only does this not keep out the draft, it is not all the way around.
So I bought some foam weatherstripping and installed it on the door frame. Specifically, it is on the part of the frame which presses against the outside surface of the door. This helped, but not enough.
So then I bought some of the weatherstripping which has a flat strip of metal with a rubber tube attached to one edge. I fastened this to the door frame so that when the door is closed the rubber presses against the outside surface of the door. Unfortunately, that is not working out.
The problem is that if I adjust the metal strip so the rubber tube is compressed when the door is closed, then the door is too hard to close, especially for my 90-year-old mother. She can't push the door hard enough to make the latch catch. But if I loosen the seal enough that the door is easy to close, air leaks around the edge of the door.
So my question is: Is there a kind of weatherstripping that seals tightly but still makes the door easy to close?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects