I have some air leaking around the edge of the wooden outside door on my 1940 house. The door has a piece of metal around part of the edge, which is curved so it somewhat interlocks with the door frame. Not only does this not keep out the draft, it is not all the way around.
So I bought some foam weatherstripping and installed it on the door frame. Specifically, it is on the part of the frame which presses against the outside surface of the door. This helped, but not enough.
So then I bought some of the weatherstripping which has a flat strip of metal with a rubber tube attached to one edge. I fastened this to the door frame so that when the door is closed the rubber presses against the outside surface of the door. Unfortunately, that is not working out.
The problem is that if I adjust the metal strip so the rubber tube is compressed when the door is closed, then the door is too hard to close, especially for my 90-year-old mother. She can't push the door hard enough to make the latch catch. But if I loosen the seal enough that the door is easy to close, air leaks around the edge of the door.
So my question is: Is there a kind of weatherstripping that seals tightly but still makes the door easy to close?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs