I have a shelf mantle piece, 54" long and 4" top to bottom. It is hollow except for a support board across the middle. It is surprisingly heavy, about 30 lbs(?) Any suggestions on installing it onto the brick above my fireplace?
You could use bracing brackets to hold it up after you use masonry screws to bolt them into the brick. I would use 3-4 brackets placed evenly apart-and get the ones that slide over the screws-just like your towel bar holder. You might want to screw the brackets into the mantle and use it as one piece. They have some very decorative brackets made just for your dilema. Only problem is that you need to have screws long enough to drive into the brick-and make sure they are a snug fit, and don't forget to use washers between the screw head and the brick. Would hate to have you put expensive items on the mantle only to have the mantle fall off. The other option is to screw directly through the supporting bracket into the brick. Only problem is on every bracket you'll be able to see 2 screw heads-unless you fill them. Then again there might be other ways to do it-might want to ask someone who does this type of work for a living. Good luck!!
7' Antique Wood Fireplace Mantle
Want to install a new mantle
Attaching a pre-fab mantle shelf to stone fireplace ...
Kitchen Sink/Replace Disposal Baffle
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!