Like you, I have also become frustrated with the hassles of "cleaning up" old wood. I have had to deal with moldings and furniture that displayed the same characteristics you described in your letter.
I have searched high and low, and the best method in my opinion is to get a stripping agent from a paint store. The one's you can get from a hardware store don't seem to have the power needed to do the job. A friend and I got frustrated and bought 4 different products (3 from hardware stores and 1 from a paint store). The truth was we were frustrated with our past efforts, and obviously bored out of our minds to try this!
We went outside for good ventilation (you will need it!) and put the pieces on some sawhorses. The three strippers from the hardware stores needed applied as few as 4 times but up to 7 times on pieces that were similar. The stripper we bought at a paint store still took 2 applications, 3 in some spots, but still a significant difference!
Paint stores specialize in this area, and cost a little more. I think they are worth every penny because of the quality of the product, and that the salepeople aren't in plumbing one day, and paint another. The hardware stores don't give the training or merchandise to their salepeople to help us make informed decisions.
I don't have the name of the product off hand, but I can find out for you if you like. I hope you have success in your project. They are actually worth all the hard work in the end. I like being able to say "I did this!"
You can e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any other questions for me.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them