You didn't say what you have for landscaping now around the patio. Is it grass? Or what?
Let's assume it's grass. And let's assume you don't want plants. Then, dig out about 6" of the grass/dirt. Maybe you can make it about 16" wide. Then, lay in a double-layer of Landscape Fabric to prevent weeds and such from growing up. Then, set in about 4" of gravel. Then, set in some landscape timbers (pressure treated wood) around the grass edges AFTER you TAMP down the gravel. Then, backfill the remaining gravel and tamp again.
To determine how much gravel you'll need, measure the lenght, width, and depth of the area in question and bring that info w/you to the Gravel Yard (or Stone Quary.) There, you can order your gravel. Take a look around at what type of gravel it is you like. YOu can even do the following to save some $$$.
After you dig and lay in the double-layer of Landscape Fabric (NOT Weed Block), ONLY use a 'cheap gravel' for the BOTTOM 4". THen, lay in another layer or 2 of Fabric, and put the GOOD/PRETTY gravel on TOP as the top-most layer!
I don't know how big your patio is so you'll have to talk to the Yard about the economics of doing it 1 way vs. the other. And, if my 'idea' isn't along the lines of what you'd like to do, come back w/more info.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: By adding a perimeter to the patio, your weed-wacker and such are 'kept away' from the patio ...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Mirror Magic: 10 Ways of Using Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs