I just purchased a house and am trying to fix two problems. My sump pump runs allot. I have two downspouts on the same side (east corner and west corner of house), that stop right at the side of my house/foundation, so I am guessing the drainage is going right into the draintile which is causing this. Since there is a sidewalk running along side the house I do not want to put gutters over the sidewalk, so I need to bury them.
The other semi-related problem is that when my sump ejects the water collected from the draintile, it comes from my basement out the side of my house (same side of the house as the two gutter spouts mentioned above) into a 4" drain pipe that is burried into the ground, (down a pretty good slope)into the yard and into a well. This well is no bigger than 1.5' X 1.5', I have no idea how deep it is and there is rock on the top, so I assume he filled it in with this rock. This summer, with admittedly heavy rain, this well overflowed in the yard, which eventually backed up the 4" pipe all the way to the house. So the sump pit in the basement tries to send the water out of the house and into the ground, to the well outside. But since the outdoor well is full, the water is coming out right along side of the house/foundation and has no where else to go, but along the house/foundation and back into the draintile. This keeps my pump running non-stop trying to keep up with the water coming in (including the back up pump "watchdog", which relieves in a different area along side the house, but still into the draintile). My question is will digging a bigger well fix this problem? Should I also tie my gutter downspouts into this well or should I keep them seperate. Are there any other means of getting rid of this water besides a well? I am limited on directions I can direct this water as the 4" pipe and well runs parallel to my drive way about 1' away. This is where the water runs off when the well is overflowing.
Thanks for any advice.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!