I just purchased a house and am trying to fix two problems. My sump pump runs allot. I have two downspouts on the same side (east corner and west corner of house), that stop right at the side of my house/foundation, so I am guessing the drainage is going right into the draintile which is causing this. Since there is a sidewalk running along side the house I do not want to put gutters over the sidewalk, so I need to bury them.
The other semi-related problem is that when my sump ejects the water collected from the draintile, it comes from my basement out the side of my house (same side of the house as the two gutter spouts mentioned above) into a 4" drain pipe that is burried into the ground, (down a pretty good slope)into the yard and into a well. This well is no bigger than 1.5' X 1.5', I have no idea how deep it is and there is rock on the top, so I assume he filled it in with this rock. This summer, with admittedly heavy rain, this well overflowed in the yard, which eventually backed up the 4" pipe all the way to the house. So the sump pit in the basement tries to send the water out of the house and into the ground, to the well outside. But since the outdoor well is full, the water is coming out right along side of the house/foundation and has no where else to go, but along the house/foundation and back into the draintile. This keeps my pump running non-stop trying to keep up with the water coming in (including the back up pump "watchdog", which relieves in a different area along side the house, but still into the draintile). My question is will digging a bigger well fix this problem? Should I also tie my gutter downspouts into this well or should I keep them seperate. Are there any other means of getting rid of this water besides a well? I am limited on directions I can direct this water as the 4" pipe and well runs parallel to my drive way about 1' away. This is where the water runs off when the well is overflowing.
Thanks for any advice.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes