I'm wondering if anybody out there has any experience with fire pits? I'd like to build one in my back yard. Not one of the purchased copper sort, but more of the "homemade" sort. An "in-ground campfire" if you will. Something like digging a hole and laying bricks around the inside of. Nothing fancy. Just something for the family to make smores over and enjoy on cool nights over and over again. Does anybody have any tips or suggestions? They would be appreciated!
I've seen people use a 3' deep section of steel pipe culvert (usually 30" diamater) but probably only available from local pipe distributor or contractor.
We built a circular firepit in our patio when I was a teenager. Since I was assigned to start the fires and clean them up, many of my memories were negative. The pit did not draft well, it was hard to get wood piled up and lit, it was a real pain to clean out, you couldn't warm your backside without being literally "over" the fire, it caight rainwater, and it was a danger at night when not being used. On the other hand it looked really nifty in the Sunset Magazine we used as the plan source. If you build one I suggest fabricating a cover for foot traffic safety and to keep out rain. If I ever build another, I will set it at or above grade.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING