I'm wondering if anybody out there has any experience with fire pits? I'd like to build one in my back yard. Not one of the purchased copper sort, but more of the "homemade" sort. An "in-ground campfire" if you will. Something like digging a hole and laying bricks around the inside of. Nothing fancy. Just something for the family to make smores over and enjoy on cool nights over and over again. Does anybody have any tips or suggestions? They would be appreciated!
I've seen people use a 3' deep section of steel pipe culvert (usually 30" diamater) but probably only available from local pipe distributor or contractor.
We built a circular firepit in our patio when I was a teenager. Since I was assigned to start the fires and clean them up, many of my memories were negative. The pit did not draft well, it was hard to get wood piled up and lit, it was a real pain to clean out, you couldn't warm your backside without being literally "over" the fire, it caight rainwater, and it was a danger at night when not being used. On the other hand it looked really nifty in the Sunset Magazine we used as the plan source. If you build one I suggest fabricating a cover for foot traffic safety and to keep out rain. If I ever build another, I will set it at or above grade.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes