I'm wondering if anybody out there has any experience with fire pits? I'd like to build one in my back yard. Not one of the purchased copper sort, but more of the "homemade" sort. An "in-ground campfire" if you will. Something like digging a hole and laying bricks around the inside of. Nothing fancy. Just something for the family to make smores over and enjoy on cool nights over and over again. Does anybody have any tips or suggestions? They would be appreciated!
I've seen people use a 3' deep section of steel pipe culvert (usually 30" diamater) but probably only available from local pipe distributor or contractor.
We built a circular firepit in our patio when I was a teenager. Since I was assigned to start the fires and clean them up, many of my memories were negative. The pit did not draft well, it was hard to get wood piled up and lit, it was a real pain to clean out, you couldn't warm your backside without being literally "over" the fire, it caight rainwater, and it was a danger at night when not being used. On the other hand it looked really nifty in the Sunset Magazine we used as the plan source. If you build one I suggest fabricating a cover for foot traffic safety and to keep out rain. If I ever build another, I will set it at or above grade.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!