I'm wondering if anybody out there has any experience with fire pits? I'd like to build one in my back yard. Not one of the purchased copper sort, but more of the "homemade" sort. An "in-ground campfire" if you will. Something like digging a hole and laying bricks around the inside of. Nothing fancy. Just something for the family to make smores over and enjoy on cool nights over and over again. Does anybody have any tips or suggestions? They would be appreciated!
I've seen people use a 3' deep section of steel pipe culvert (usually 30" diamater) but probably only available from local pipe distributor or contractor.
We built a circular firepit in our patio when I was a teenager. Since I was assigned to start the fires and clean them up, many of my memories were negative. The pit did not draft well, it was hard to get wood piled up and lit, it was a real pain to clean out, you couldn't warm your backside without being literally "over" the fire, it caight rainwater, and it was a danger at night when not being used. On the other hand it looked really nifty in the Sunset Magazine we used as the plan source. If you build one I suggest fabricating a cover for foot traffic safety and to keep out rain. If I ever build another, I will set it at or above grade.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!