I'm wondering if anybody out there has any experience with fire pits? I'd like to build one in my back yard. Not one of the purchased copper sort, but more of the "homemade" sort. An "in-ground campfire" if you will. Something like digging a hole and laying bricks around the inside of. Nothing fancy. Just something for the family to make smores over and enjoy on cool nights over and over again. Does anybody have any tips or suggestions? They would be appreciated!
I've seen people use a 3' deep section of steel pipe culvert (usually 30" diamater) but probably only available from local pipe distributor or contractor.
We built a circular firepit in our patio when I was a teenager. Since I was assigned to start the fires and clean them up, many of my memories were negative. The pit did not draft well, it was hard to get wood piled up and lit, it was a real pain to clean out, you couldn't warm your backside without being literally "over" the fire, it caight rainwater, and it was a danger at night when not being used. On the other hand it looked really nifty in the Sunset Magazine we used as the plan source. If you build one I suggest fabricating a cover for foot traffic safety and to keep out rain. If I ever build another, I will set it at or above grade.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects