I'm thinking of doing cement countertops in my kitchen.
Has anyone done this themselves? If so, how difficult is it, and where can I find the products needed, Home Depot does not carry any finishes, and everywhere I look on the internet, they do it for you. But we want to do it ourselves.
I saw at least one well done book on concrtete countertops at Barn*s and Nobl*. Also, a friend installed these in his kitchen two years ago. He indicated that the installation was about the same amount of work as ceramic tile but with a poorer finish. His tops are about 3" thick and have an irregular medium-to-dark brown stain finish. Even though the concrtet is sealed, it is somewhat harder to clean because the surface is pitted and not glass smooth. If you are looking for a rough, country , industrial look it may work well. If you want clean, refined appearance go with plastic laminate, ceramic tile, corian, or polished stone. The most difficult process was the trowelling and staining.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes