I have been refinishing a computer desk for a friend. Mentioned after the varnish for a fine finish is using "wet paper or wet sanding". Can you please explain to me what this is and the process? Thank you for any help you can give me.
Wet sanding is using a liquid to help remove some of the excess material and also keep the scratching down. It can be but does not have to be water. Water is used in similar processes such as sanding metal or sharpening cutlery on a wet stone. There are many types of oil that can be used when finishing wood surfaces. Linseed and tung oils for example. It depends on the final finish that you want on the project.....Mark Hammond
Quick tip. Use 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a spray bottle filled with water and dish soap. mist the surface and lightly sand in a circular motion, you should fell that is moves real smooth over the surface with no drag, if you start to feel drag, stop and wet some more. Keep doing this until you cover the entire surface. Wipe it clean and let it dry. When you are done you should have a smooth satin finish, if you want more gloss, depending on what finish you used, you can buff it with car polish, or use pmice or rotton stone and a felt pad to obtain a higher gloss.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!