Hi..My huband and I just found our dream home...but it has had an infestation of termites on the north side where it is muddy and boggy. We pulled our offer on the house, but we are still sad. Should we have stayed and renegotiated?? We live in Michigan so could the termites, with a cold winter eventually go away. Or does one need to do some skilled landscaping, vigilant montoring, and replacing the rotted wood???
Can someone offer some insight..?? Help!!
Unfortunately before buying your dream home you did not get a certification against termites from the realtor. This cert is mandatory in some locales. I can actually give you some advice, because i ran into the same situation. We have noticed the "swarmer" termites previously around this time of year. I have treated the infected areas with a brand name chemical named "termidor" I am praying we don't get the swarmers now. i got a few estimates from reputable companies. both of them planned on using the same chemical, Termidor. It was clearly stated on the estimates. the estimates were well over $1,000.00. I went to the source and purchased the chemical at retail price. it was not cheap. About $120.00 for less then a gallon. I treated the areas i saw the termites in and have yet to see a swarmer. But it's still a little early in the year. I'm in philly, i don't know what time of year they come out in Michigan. This chemical is not that viotale and can be diluted to a mixture of 1 part termidor to 6 parts water. major companies use a process called "rodding" This means they drill the interior and exterior of your home and install small tubes in which they inject the chemical. The rods are installed at a rate of every 24". Yep alot of work. the tops of the rods are then capped off with cement. termites are a major hassle and i have personally seen 1st hand the damage they have created in my own home. if u need more info as to where to purchase the chemical or how to "rod" I'm all ears for you. plumber Tom/Moderator/www.bobvila.com/BBS/Plumbing
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!