I like the idea of low voltage recesssed halogen lights but my local hardware superstore stocks mostly line voltage fixtures. Are the low voltage fixtures unpopular for some reason?
No, in fact I prefer the low voltage tracks. The difference is aesthetics. With line voltage systems you must use a 110V bulb which I think comes in only 1 size or you must use transformers at each lamp fixture on the track, this makes them bulky. Also the tack must be a "U" shaped track to protect the line voltage conductors inside. With low voltage tracks you get much more design flexibility, the tracks can be wires, tape or track. The lamps can be anything the imagination can come up with. In Europe all the stores have gone to low voltage halogen display lights. Mostly with am MR16 bulb hanging down on a thin stem.
You actually get stronger light from the low voltage lamps! In addition now that the transformers are located right at the fixture it is so easy to install them. I'm in the process of installing the Lightolier 3 1/4" recessed cans and they are great -- small, adjustable, easy to install. Can't wait until I'm done!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!