I like the idea of low voltage recesssed halogen lights but my local hardware superstore stocks mostly line voltage fixtures. Are the low voltage fixtures unpopular for some reason?
No, in fact I prefer the low voltage tracks. The difference is aesthetics. With line voltage systems you must use a 110V bulb which I think comes in only 1 size or you must use transformers at each lamp fixture on the track, this makes them bulky. Also the tack must be a "U" shaped track to protect the line voltage conductors inside. With low voltage tracks you get much more design flexibility, the tracks can be wires, tape or track. The lamps can be anything the imagination can come up with. In Europe all the stores have gone to low voltage halogen display lights. Mostly with am MR16 bulb hanging down on a thin stem.
You actually get stronger light from the low voltage lamps! In addition now that the transformers are located right at the fixture it is so easy to install them. I'm in the process of installing the Lightolier 3 1/4" recessed cans and they are great -- small, adjustable, easy to install. Can't wait until I'm done!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!