Hi, all! First let me say that I am a total novice in terms of home repair so I may not use the correct terms in describing my problem. I would like to install a dimmer switch for my living room overhead lights. The problem is that the current on/off switch for the living room is part of a unit of two switches, the other switch being for the kitchen. I would like to keep the kitchen on a regular on/off switch. I thought I could just replace the initial two-switch unit with a dimmer switch for the living room and a single on/off switch for the kitchen but it doesn't look like I can do that without widening the hole in the wall and replacing the metal box with one that can hold two single switches. Like I said, I'm a novice and I don't want to do any of that for fear I'll screw things up.
I was wondering if could find a two-switch unit like the one I have now only with one being a dimmer switch. The ones I've found on the market are really only meant to be wired to the same light.
Hope this makes sense and thanks for any help you could give me.
Hunter Ceiling Fan with remote, A few issues with wa...
Dimmer switch for ceiling fan/light
Problem with 3-way switch
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!