I am getting ready to set tile on an outside porch on my home. The surface is composed of a 2 part epoxy fiberglass layup over 3/4 inch plywood. The outer layer is 1808 fiberglass mat.
I previously asked a tile setter who recommended hardibacker board over the fiberglass to increase adhesion (as you may know, nothing sticks to fiberglass very well, except epoxy.)
Problem is, most recommend nailing or screwing down hardibacker with a 1/4 inch thinset base under it. I cannot put holes in my watertight deck, so nailing/screwing is not an option.
I previously fiberglassed another upper porch and applied a 1/4 layer of 2 part "epoxy thinset" as a base. After drying, I applied multipurpose thinset over this(the base was just to add adhesion) The tiles seen to be staying down ok.
Originally, the tiles on this upper porch were set in multipurpose thinset by a "professional" tile setter. Then soon came up like pancakes.
What is the best way to grip to a fiberglass deck? I don't like the idea of laying all of the tiles in a bed of epoxy thinset, because the tiles would be never come up without destroying the nice deck I worked so hard to make perfect.
Thanks for your help in advance
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps