I am getting ready to set tile on an outside porch on my home. The surface is composed of a 2 part epoxy fiberglass layup over 3/4 inch plywood. The outer layer is 1808 fiberglass mat.
I previously asked a tile setter who recommended hardibacker board over the fiberglass to increase adhesion (as you may know, nothing sticks to fiberglass very well, except epoxy.)
Problem is, most recommend nailing or screwing down hardibacker with a 1/4 inch thinset base under it. I cannot put holes in my watertight deck, so nailing/screwing is not an option.
I previously fiberglassed another upper porch and applied a 1/4 layer of 2 part "epoxy thinset" as a base. After drying, I applied multipurpose thinset over this(the base was just to add adhesion) The tiles seen to be staying down ok.
Originally, the tiles on this upper porch were set in multipurpose thinset by a "professional" tile setter. Then soon came up like pancakes.
What is the best way to grip to a fiberglass deck? I don't like the idea of laying all of the tiles in a bed of epoxy thinset, because the tiles would be never come up without destroying the nice deck I worked so hard to make perfect.
Thanks for your help in advance
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Rakes Every Homeowner Should Know
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 13 Terror-ific Yards All Decked Out for Halloween
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY