Currently in my back yard I have a concrete slab right outside the back door. It is about 10' x 9'. Since my yard is not level and very bumpy, I'm looking to extend the patio to put out patio furniture. Before I ask the questions, one more thing. From the patio, I have a concrete walkway parallel to the house, which runs along a rock garden (for lack of a better term), which is right next to the back of the house. It looks like the patio and walkway were done at different times, as they are different types.
Here are my questions:
- Should I remove everything and start fresh?
- Should I just remove either the current patio or walkway and start from either?
- I will also be getting rid of the rock garden next to the house and replace with the new patio. Since it's close to the house, should I put in a perforated pipe for water? (I get water in the basement, but that's another issue).
- Can I pour in the cement onto the dirt or do I need to lay out gravel and wire first? If so, how many inches of gravel?
- How thick should the slab be?
- Do I need to put in those lines in the cement every 3 to 4 feet to prevent cracking?
- Any good books on the topic? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just concrete patio. Thanks.
Get Help from Bob Vila
- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries