Currently in my back yard I have a concrete slab right outside the back door. It is about 10' x 9'. Since my yard is not level and very bumpy, I'm looking to extend the patio to put out patio furniture. Before I ask the questions, one more thing. From the patio, I have a concrete walkway parallel to the house, which runs along a rock garden (for lack of a better term), which is right next to the back of the house. It looks like the patio and walkway were done at different times, as they are different types.
Here are my questions:
- Should I remove everything and start fresh?
- Should I just remove either the current patio or walkway and start from either?
- I will also be getting rid of the rock garden next to the house and replace with the new patio. Since it's close to the house, should I put in a perforated pipe for water? (I get water in the basement, but that's another issue).
- Can I pour in the cement onto the dirt or do I need to lay out gravel and wire first? If so, how many inches of gravel?
- How thick should the slab be?
- Do I need to put in those lines in the cement every 3 to 4 feet to prevent cracking?
- Any good books on the topic? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just concrete patio. Thanks.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!