I am working on a project to build a craps table and need to bend the walls around the corners. The radius of each arc is about 14". I actually got one of the walls up by cutting kerfs into the areas that need to curve and then bending it that way but am looking for an easier way as the last 3 sheets I tried to do this way have snapped or cracked.
I read on a message board that if I soak the wood it will bend easier without cracking. Is this true? I also saw someone say they boiled wood - do you have to boil it or can you just use room temperature water and let it soak?
How long should I let it soak for? Will i still need to cut the kerfs in it or should it bend to that radius without them if it is soaked through?
The sheets I need to soak are about 10" wide by 8' long. My plan to soak them was to get a waterproof tarp and prop it up on the edges and fill with water - I dont know any other way to soak an 8 foot piece.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks in advance
Not sure what part of the country you are in, but some lumber yards have what is called bender board. It comes 3/8" thick, and is specifically designed for this. How thick is the plywood you are trying to bend? I would think you would struggle with anything thicker than 1/4". If your lumber store does not carry the bender board, go to a local cabinet maker shop in your area and have them order it for you. Costs about $40 for a 4' x 8' sheet.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees