I am relocating my bathroom sink to the opposite wall that it is presently on....
On the new wall there is an existing galvanized 1 and a 1/2 inch drain line running vertially down the wall which is the drain for the tub in the bathroom above this one. Would it make more sense to replace this exisiting tub drain w/ a larger diameter pvc and tie in the new sink drain to this existing line instead of completely moving the drain from the opposite wall to the new sink wall then having 2 drains on this wall instead of 1 drain that drains my new sink and upstairs bathtub??
Being that it will be draining tub and new sink is the reason I say increase the size of the 1 and a half galvanized pipe.
IS this a bad idea for code reasons and for any other reasons I may not be aware of???
Your help is greatly appreciated,
No because code calls for sink drains to be 1-1/4". All you need to do is cut into the galvanized existing drain and tie into that with a sanitary tee. Don't make more work for yourself then you have to. If you need to know how to cut into the existing drain and what fittings to use, post back and I'll be happy to explain it to you in detail, plumber Tom
Hi Tom and thanks for the quick reply and answer.
Only reason I was thinking to replace the exisitng inch and a half galvanized tub drain from above is because I have the bathroom gutted down to the studs and I can see the whole p trap and where it connects to the tub above. This galvanized piping is upwpwards of 50 years old, so my thoughts were to replace the whole drain w/ pvc and tap the new sink drain into that??
so you think inch and a half will be wide enough to drain a tub and a bathroom sink together?
I guess it won't be too likely that both will be running for any extended period of time.....
as always thaks for your help Tom.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!