I am relocating my bathroom sink to the opposite wall that it is presently on....
On the new wall there is an existing galvanized 1 and a 1/2 inch drain line running vertially down the wall which is the drain for the tub in the bathroom above this one. Would it make more sense to replace this exisiting tub drain w/ a larger diameter pvc and tie in the new sink drain to this existing line instead of completely moving the drain from the opposite wall to the new sink wall then having 2 drains on this wall instead of 1 drain that drains my new sink and upstairs bathtub??
Being that it will be draining tub and new sink is the reason I say increase the size of the 1 and a half galvanized pipe.
IS this a bad idea for code reasons and for any other reasons I may not be aware of???
Your help is greatly appreciated,
No because code calls for sink drains to be 1-1/4". All you need to do is cut into the galvanized existing drain and tie into that with a sanitary tee. Don't make more work for yourself then you have to. If you need to know how to cut into the existing drain and what fittings to use, post back and I'll be happy to explain it to you in detail, plumber Tom
Hi Tom and thanks for the quick reply and answer.
Only reason I was thinking to replace the exisitng inch and a half galvanized tub drain from above is because I have the bathroom gutted down to the studs and I can see the whole p trap and where it connects to the tub above. This galvanized piping is upwpwards of 50 years old, so my thoughts were to replace the whole drain w/ pvc and tap the new sink drain into that??
so you think inch and a half will be wide enough to drain a tub and a bathroom sink together?
I guess it won't be too likely that both will be running for any extended period of time.....
as always thaks for your help Tom.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs