I am relocating my bathroom sink to the opposite wall that it is presently on....
On the new wall there is an existing galvanized 1 and a 1/2 inch drain line running vertially down the wall which is the drain for the tub in the bathroom above this one. Would it make more sense to replace this exisiting tub drain w/ a larger diameter pvc and tie in the new sink drain to this existing line instead of completely moving the drain from the opposite wall to the new sink wall then having 2 drains on this wall instead of 1 drain that drains my new sink and upstairs bathtub??
Being that it will be draining tub and new sink is the reason I say increase the size of the 1 and a half galvanized pipe.
IS this a bad idea for code reasons and for any other reasons I may not be aware of???
Your help is greatly appreciated,
No because code calls for sink drains to be 1-1/4". All you need to do is cut into the galvanized existing drain and tie into that with a sanitary tee. Don't make more work for yourself then you have to. If you need to know how to cut into the existing drain and what fittings to use, post back and I'll be happy to explain it to you in detail, plumber Tom
Hi Tom and thanks for the quick reply and answer.
Only reason I was thinking to replace the exisitng inch and a half galvanized tub drain from above is because I have the bathroom gutted down to the studs and I can see the whole p trap and where it connects to the tub above. This galvanized piping is upwpwards of 50 years old, so my thoughts were to replace the whole drain w/ pvc and tap the new sink drain into that??
so you think inch and a half will be wide enough to drain a tub and a bathroom sink together?
I guess it won't be too likely that both will be running for any extended period of time.....
as always thaks for your help Tom.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps