I have a new Carrier heat pump with a variable speed fan and computer controlled thermostat. I am located outside northeast Phila.. At about what temp does the heat pump switch over to its back up heat system. I was under the impression that it would switch over at around 32 degrees or so but even though we have had that type of weather, it has never switched over to back up heat.
With the new heater I decided to try a propane back up. I was never really satisfied with the elec. back up. Thank you for your help with this question.
Heat pumps were designed for climates with so called "mild" winters. They are most efficient when temps rarely fall below 40 degrees. They are also not the easiest types of systems to troubleshoot. Contact the installer and ask him what he can do to make it right. Look in the user manual under "troubleshooting" to see what is says about really cold temps.
Heat Pump Freezing Up
heat pump system pricing?
Heat Pump problem
Flaky furnace - replace w/ another gas furnace or wi...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!