I have a new Carrier heat pump with a variable speed fan and computer controlled thermostat. I am located outside northeast Phila.. At about what temp does the heat pump switch over to its back up heat system. I was under the impression that it would switch over at around 32 degrees or so but even though we have had that type of weather, it has never switched over to back up heat.
With the new heater I decided to try a propane back up. I was never really satisfied with the elec. back up. Thank you for your help with this question.
Heat pumps were designed for climates with so called "mild" winters. They are most efficient when temps rarely fall below 40 degrees. They are also not the easiest types of systems to troubleshoot. Contact the installer and ask him what he can do to make it right. Look in the user manual under "troubleshooting" to see what is says about really cold temps.
Heat Pump Freezing Up
heat pump system pricing?
Heat Pump problem
Flaky furnace - replace w/ another gas furnace or wi...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes