I have a new Carrier heat pump with a variable speed fan and computer controlled thermostat. I am located outside northeast Phila.. At about what temp does the heat pump switch over to its back up heat system. I was under the impression that it would switch over at around 32 degrees or so but even though we have had that type of weather, it has never switched over to back up heat.
With the new heater I decided to try a propane back up. I was never really satisfied with the elec. back up. Thank you for your help with this question.
Heat pumps were designed for climates with so called "mild" winters. They are most efficient when temps rarely fall below 40 degrees. They are also not the easiest types of systems to troubleshoot. Contact the installer and ask him what he can do to make it right. Look in the user manual under "troubleshooting" to see what is says about really cold temps.
Heat Pump Freezing Up
heat pump system pricing?
Heat Pump problem
Flaky furnace - replace w/ another gas furnace or wi...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!