I have a new Carrier heat pump with a variable speed fan and computer controlled thermostat. I am located outside northeast Phila.. At about what temp does the heat pump switch over to its back up heat system. I was under the impression that it would switch over at around 32 degrees or so but even though we have had that type of weather, it has never switched over to back up heat.
With the new heater I decided to try a propane back up. I was never really satisfied with the elec. back up. Thank you for your help with this question.
Heat pumps were designed for climates with so called "mild" winters. They are most efficient when temps rarely fall below 40 degrees. They are also not the easiest types of systems to troubleshoot. Contact the installer and ask him what he can do to make it right. Look in the user manual under "troubleshooting" to see what is says about really cold temps.
Heat Pump Freezing Up
heat pump system pricing?
Heat Pump problem
Flaky furnace - replace w/ another gas furnace or wi...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- Soundproof Your Home with 11 DIYs
- Set the Tone: 8 Colors for an Inviting Dining Room
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY