I'm going to be renovating a four floor 6000 sq.ft. brownstone in the New Jersey in the next couple of months. At present the property only has steam heating, which I understand can't be zoned. This has me a little worried as we won't be using the whole house all of the time and the bills I'm sure will be huge. We will be installing a/c and a couple of people have recommended a German system, which apparently has very narrow ducting, ideal for this type of house. However, I was wondering whether it made sense to invest in a complete new HVAC system while we are doing the work. Any suggestions on systems that can use narrow piping and offer multiple zones would be appreciated!
Thanks for responding however, while the the renovations will be quite extensive I'm not sure under floor heating will necessarily work.We have period wood flooring in most of the rooms and it's one of the things we want to keep! I think the reason people have referred to a "German" system is that apparently it uses really narrow ducting and so can be used to install a/c reasonably easily in old houses. What I don't know is can it be used for heating as well.
Recommendations on Zoned HVAC and Heat system
Cold Air returns in the up stairs of my 1910 2 story...
which a/c & furnace to get ?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!