I'm going to be renovating a four floor 6000 sq.ft. brownstone in the New Jersey in the next couple of months. At present the property only has steam heating, which I understand can't be zoned. This has me a little worried as we won't be using the whole house all of the time and the bills I'm sure will be huge. We will be installing a/c and a couple of people have recommended a German system, which apparently has very narrow ducting, ideal for this type of house. However, I was wondering whether it made sense to invest in a complete new HVAC system while we are doing the work. Any suggestions on systems that can use narrow piping and offer multiple zones would be appreciated!
Thanks for responding however, while the the renovations will be quite extensive I'm not sure under floor heating will necessarily work.We have period wood flooring in most of the rooms and it's one of the things we want to keep! I think the reason people have referred to a "German" system is that apparently it uses really narrow ducting and so can be used to install a/c reasonably easily in old houses. What I don't know is can it be used for heating as well.
Recommendations on Zoned HVAC and Heat system
Cold Air returns in the up stairs of my 1910 2 story...
which a/c & furnace to get ?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes