I'm going to be renovating a four floor 6000 sq.ft. brownstone in the New Jersey in the next couple of months. At present the property only has steam heating, which I understand can't be zoned. This has me a little worried as we won't be using the whole house all of the time and the bills I'm sure will be huge. We will be installing a/c and a couple of people have recommended a German system, which apparently has very narrow ducting, ideal for this type of house. However, I was wondering whether it made sense to invest in a complete new HVAC system while we are doing the work. Any suggestions on systems that can use narrow piping and offer multiple zones would be appreciated!
Thanks for responding however, while the the renovations will be quite extensive I'm not sure under floor heating will necessarily work.We have period wood flooring in most of the rooms and it's one of the things we want to keep! I think the reason people have referred to a "German" system is that apparently it uses really narrow ducting and so can be used to install a/c reasonably easily in old houses. What I don't know is can it be used for heating as well.
Recommendations on Zoned HVAC and Heat system
Cold Air returns in the up stairs of my 1910 2 story...
which a/c & furnace to get ?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!