I would like to know if anyone has ever heard of such a thing, as described below, so I can know if I should find out if someone "besides me" is responsible. I get my furnace cleaned in Nov. I hired a new company because I was not happy with the old one. I have been in my house three years and rely on repairmen and contractors to take care of things. The new company said a hinged door that opens the flame area on my oil furnace had been duct taped shut and my heat exchanger is not just cracked but scorched and burned thru. My daughter, who lives with me, saw it, inside the furnace and said it is indeed burned and has a hole.
In 11/02, I contracted a national company to service my furnace and they inspected my furnace and said it qualified for a "gold" service contract, which I purchased. It covered all repairs and a cleaning. The cleaning was performed in 11/2003, approx three weeks before the contract ended. After the cleaning, I noticed a strong fuel oil smell and called them to come back. The did for two hours and the smell remained but not as strong. I called again re: the smell and they never showed up. I figured if it was a bad problem they would have said something - which they didn't. The contract ended two days after the last repairman never showed up and I simply decided to never call them again and hire someone else. Today's heating contractor didn't want to "bad mouth" the other one other than to say, "Something isn't right and the taped area is suspicious. It is "possible" an "incorrect" jet could have caused the heat exchanger to burn through but it had been that way quite a while." I simply got used to the smell altho I did notice it very strong on the first start-up for the season.
Was I burned and am I getting burned again?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!