Our furnace is 18 years old. The brand is either ARcoaire or Snyder-General. At least those are the stickers on it. Anyway, I have notcied, especially at night that it comes on for 5 minutes, shuts off for 5 minutes and then comes on for 5 minutes. This cycle seems to repeat itself. Anyway, we did have the furnace looked at about 3 years ago for short cycling and just wondered why the problem comes back and what we should do. What are the risks of operating it this way? Thank you.
Before calling for service, check your drain line to make sure it is clear and the condensate is running freely to the drain. Also make sure that your intake and exhaust pipes are clear of leaves and/or debri. If you have an intake pipe with a rubber collar at the furnace, loosen the collar and raise the pipe to see if any leaves are stuck in there. Hope this helps.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!