Our furnace is 18 years old. The brand is either ARcoaire or Snyder-General. At least those are the stickers on it. Anyway, I have notcied, especially at night that it comes on for 5 minutes, shuts off for 5 minutes and then comes on for 5 minutes. This cycle seems to repeat itself. Anyway, we did have the furnace looked at about 3 years ago for short cycling and just wondered why the problem comes back and what we should do. What are the risks of operating it this way? Thank you.
Before calling for service, check your drain line to make sure it is clear and the condensate is running freely to the drain. Also make sure that your intake and exhaust pipes are clear of leaves and/or debri. If you have an intake pipe with a rubber collar at the furnace, loosen the collar and raise the pipe to see if any leaves are stuck in there. Hope this helps.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight