Yeah, I know, dumb question. But I had my annual furnace boiler inspection last week and the guys didn't turn everything back on when they were done, and I've waited two days for them to return my calls on it and it's getting cold! This is an old closed-system boiler powered by gas, with radiators, and the service guys recommended I get a new one. They left the pilot light on but they didn't flip the electricity back on (I turned it off for the inspection per their request). Do I just turn on the electric switch and I'm ready to turn up the thermostat and get heat? Thanks.
Is it possible there's no switch by the boiler? The switch I turned off for them is the light switch. How would I identify the boiler switch -- is it right on or near the boiler, and is it likely to be the only switch I see? The boiler is from the 1950s, LOL!
I went down and verified that the only electrical switch is the one wall switch. Now I have a question about pressure. An inspector told me last week that 50lbs. was dangerous. But the dial seems to imply that 70lbs. or higher is dangerous. The letters are in black up to 70 lbs. and after that there is a red zone. Is it possible to know which is correct -- the inspector or the dial? Thank you.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!