MY central air systems had problems this year delivering cold air beddrrons on the second floor. I have a large colonial with two sytems ( 5 tons for upstairs and 3.5 ton for downstairs). The system is about 12 years old and I live rhode island so the system only needs work about 3 months per year. I have talked to a number of dealers and the solution is the same replace the uptairs air handler to get more flow and replace the outside condenser unit. The replacement cost is more that I can afford right now.
Yesterday I got a different opinion. I would comments on this on his solution;
1) Increase the length of the sheetmetal duct work to cut down the amount of flex duct. I have multiple run of over 20 feet.
2) He agrees that the air handler need to be replaced but he recommends only replacing the air handler now and repalce the condsenser in the future. In his view the condenser look fine. This help my short term cost probelm and in his view a new air handler will save some electricty cost ( of course not as much a new high seer unit)
Any negatives of replacing the air handler only.
He asured me that the air hanlder would be compatible with any future condenser.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!