MY central air systems had problems this year delivering cold air beddrrons on the second floor. I have a large colonial with two sytems ( 5 tons for upstairs and 3.5 ton for downstairs). The system is about 12 years old and I live rhode island so the system only needs work about 3 months per year. I have talked to a number of dealers and the solution is the same replace the uptairs air handler to get more flow and replace the outside condenser unit. The replacement cost is more that I can afford right now.
Yesterday I got a different opinion. I would comments on this on his solution;
1) Increase the length of the sheetmetal duct work to cut down the amount of flex duct. I have multiple run of over 20 feet.
2) He agrees that the air handler need to be replaced but he recommends only replacing the air handler now and repalce the condsenser in the future. In his view the condenser look fine. This help my short term cost probelm and in his view a new air handler will save some electricty cost ( of course not as much a new high seer unit)
Any negatives of replacing the air handler only.
He asured me that the air hanlder would be compatible with any future condenser.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes