I have a 1948 home. 1900sq feet - 950 up and down with a finished basement...walk out in the back. We have a new gas furnace.
The previous owner moved the master bedroom downstairs - put in a big closet and french doors out to the garden. The furnace duct is situated on the ceiling, close to the outer wall and adjacent to the french doors. The inside bedroom wall that is perpendicular to the outside wall has a square cutout (approx 12"X8") at the bottom of the wall (at the far end of the wall, away from the outside wall). The cut-out has a grill in front of it, but is not connected to any ducting. There is a similar cut out in a parallel inside wall of a small room/closet that was used as a storage area by the previous owner.
The problem is, that these holes in the wall often seem to let in a bit of a stale, stuffy smell, so I'd like to seal them up, but I don't know if they have a purpose. I've been reading a bit about cold air returns, but given that these don't seem to be connect to anything...? But I want to ensure proper ventilation, but don't think the stale air would be helping that.
Thanks for your help.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!