New to this forum and hope I can get advice from you experts out there
As background, I will be closing on a 20 year old colonial home in NJ in the near future. The house is in pretty good condition but has original everything from 20 years ago. I plan on renovating the kitchen and baths at a later date to EnergyStar items, so my first try at "green" adventures are headed towards heating and cooling.
Here is what I plan to do within the first 5-6 months:
1) add radiant barrier to attic (to reflect IR heat), I plan to install this on my own
2) install whole house fan (to pull in cooler outside air), I plan to install this on my own
3) change first floor heating from forced hot air to under floor hot water radiant heat (main level furnace needs replacement and radiant heating is more efficient and comfortable) currently getting estimates from contractors
4) update water heater to tankless water heater (suppose to save money also) getting estimates on this also
5) heat pump to help supplement the efficiencies for heating and cooling (not sure of this technology yet, still doing research)
Let me know if these are good to start with and if any of you have had any experiences you would like to share, please do.
X10 Lighting Control
Electrical service upgrad from fuses to circuit brea...
Forced Hot Air Zoning
attic remodel; where to put the duct work? Smaller ...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love