I rewired my sisters ceiling fan so the dimmer would operate the lights and the on/off would be for the fan. All the other rooms operated like that. When I rewired it the speakers for the computer made a clicking noise every time I turned the fan switch off. I looked in the box at the switch plate and ther were three main wires comming in the oth box.A 4-wire, one had red, white, black and ground the other two were 3-wires, black white and ground. The blacks were all wired together the whites together and the ground also. The red went to the top of the switch and the black was on the bottom. the dimmer switch had two black wires. Originally the ceining fan had white to white, and black from fan to to red from ceiling, and black with a white line from fan to the black wire from the ceiling that had blue tape on it. It operated the fan by the dimmer switch and the on/off switch operated the light. I switched the wires in the ceiling fan to have the white to the white. the black from the ceiling to the black of the fan. and the red from the ceiling to the black(with the white line) from the fan. Ground to ground. When I turned ot on the fan then operated by tih on/off switch and the lights from the dimmer but we herd a clicking or static on the computer speakers every time we turned the switch off. The computer worked fine and did not even flicker. Any suggestions? Thanks.
It appears you are picking up "noise" from the motor fan, If the computer speakers are plugged into the same circuit that the ceiling fan is on, this could happen. Try using an outlet for the speakers on a differint circuit. I am assuming your speakers have a DC power supply for them which is plugged into an outlet, If not then plug the computer into an outlet on a different circuit.
Separate switches for ceiling fan and light
ceiling fan wiring
Excessive electricity consumption - help needed !!
Ceiling Fan Pullchain
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight