I rewired my sisters ceiling fan so the dimmer would operate the lights and the on/off would be for the fan. All the other rooms operated like that. When I rewired it the speakers for the computer made a clicking noise every time I turned the fan switch off. I looked in the box at the switch plate and ther were three main wires comming in the oth box.A 4-wire, one had red, white, black and ground the other two were 3-wires, black white and ground. The blacks were all wired together the whites together and the ground also. The red went to the top of the switch and the black was on the bottom. the dimmer switch had two black wires. Originally the ceining fan had white to white, and black from fan to to red from ceiling, and black with a white line from fan to the black wire from the ceiling that had blue tape on it. It operated the fan by the dimmer switch and the on/off switch operated the light. I switched the wires in the ceiling fan to have the white to the white. the black from the ceiling to the black of the fan. and the red from the ceiling to the black(with the white line) from the fan. Ground to ground. When I turned ot on the fan then operated by tih on/off switch and the lights from the dimmer but we herd a clicking or static on the computer speakers every time we turned the switch off. The computer worked fine and did not even flicker. Any suggestions? Thanks.
It appears you are picking up "noise" from the motor fan, If the computer speakers are plugged into the same circuit that the ceiling fan is on, this could happen. Try using an outlet for the speakers on a differint circuit. I am assuming your speakers have a DC power supply for them which is plugged into an outlet, If not then plug the computer into an outlet on a different circuit.
Separate switches for ceiling fan and light
ceiling fan wiring
Excessive electricity consumption - help needed !!
Ceiling Fan Pullchain
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!