I've added a circuit for an electric dryer in my basement. The 4-post receptacle I installed is about six feet from the breaker box, connected by 10-gauge stranded wire (two hot, one neutral, and a ground) through flexible conduit.
The dryer started, but tripped the breaker after running several minutes. I reset the breaker and again after several minutes it tripped.
I was convinced that there was a short somewhere in my wiring until I looked at the instruction book and saw a picture of the breaker ...
I'd installed a double-pole GE breaker for this 30 amp circuit. It had "15A" written beside each switch (15 + 15 + 30 amps, right?)
But, the picture in my wiring book is of someone holding a double pole breaker with "30" written on each switch.
Did I install a breaker for only half the required amperage? The 10-gauge red & black wires should EACH be able to carry 30 amps, right?
I'm just afraid of putting-in a breaker that's too big and starting a fire if there really is a short somewhere.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs