I've added a circuit for an electric dryer in my basement. The 4-post receptacle I installed is about six feet from the breaker box, connected by 10-gauge stranded wire (two hot, one neutral, and a ground) through flexible conduit.
The dryer started, but tripped the breaker after running several minutes. I reset the breaker and again after several minutes it tripped.
I was convinced that there was a short somewhere in my wiring until I looked at the instruction book and saw a picture of the breaker ...
I'd installed a double-pole GE breaker for this 30 amp circuit. It had "15A" written beside each switch (15 + 15 + 30 amps, right?)
But, the picture in my wiring book is of someone holding a double pole breaker with "30" written on each switch.
Did I install a breaker for only half the required amperage? The 10-gauge red & black wires should EACH be able to carry 30 amps, right?
I'm just afraid of putting-in a breaker that's too big and starting a fire if there really is a short somewhere.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them