Two GFI outlets, my toaster, and my circuit breaker panel hum between the hours of about 5 p.m. and about 8 a.m. (it was 6 p.m. - 9 a.m. before the time change) The noise starts out soft, and gets louder until it is more like a clicking sound, and then it stops. You must have your ear near the outlet or toaster to pick up the hum. The sound is most prominent in our bathroom outlet. Each GFI outlet and the toaster are on a different circuit.
We have changed out the two outlets, the electric company has monitered the voltage at the meter and found no problems, our electrician has tightened up the wires, and changed out one circuit breaker (not one on the offending circuits) because he thought it was the source of the sound, all to no avail. The hardest thing is that when the power is turned off while trying to solve the problem, the hum usually stops until about 5 p.m. again, so the electrician doesn't know if what he did worked until the next day.
The noise is still there whether something is plugged into the outlets or not. If I push the test button on the outlets, the noise ceases, but restarts when I reset them. We unplug the toaster when it buzzes, but it doesn't affect the noise in the other outlets.
Has anyone had a similar problem?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers