Two GFI outlets, my toaster, and my circuit breaker panel hum between the hours of about 5 p.m. and about 8 a.m. (it was 6 p.m. - 9 a.m. before the time change) The noise starts out soft, and gets louder until it is more like a clicking sound, and then it stops. You must have your ear near the outlet or toaster to pick up the hum. The sound is most prominent in our bathroom outlet. Each GFI outlet and the toaster are on a different circuit.
We have changed out the two outlets, the electric company has monitered the voltage at the meter and found no problems, our electrician has tightened up the wires, and changed out one circuit breaker (not one on the offending circuits) because he thought it was the source of the sound, all to no avail. The hardest thing is that when the power is turned off while trying to solve the problem, the hum usually stops until about 5 p.m. again, so the electrician doesn't know if what he did worked until the next day.
The noise is still there whether something is plugged into the outlets or not. If I push the test button on the outlets, the noise ceases, but restarts when I reset them. We unplug the toaster when it buzzes, but it doesn't affect the noise in the other outlets.
Has anyone had a similar problem?
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING