Two GFI outlets, my toaster, and my circuit breaker panel hum between the hours of about 5 p.m. and about 8 a.m. (it was 6 p.m. - 9 a.m. before the time change) The noise starts out soft, and gets louder until it is more like a clicking sound, and then it stops. You must have your ear near the outlet or toaster to pick up the hum. The sound is most prominent in our bathroom outlet. Each GFI outlet and the toaster are on a different circuit.
We have changed out the two outlets, the electric company has monitered the voltage at the meter and found no problems, our electrician has tightened up the wires, and changed out one circuit breaker (not one on the offending circuits) because he thought it was the source of the sound, all to no avail. The hardest thing is that when the power is turned off while trying to solve the problem, the hum usually stops until about 5 p.m. again, so the electrician doesn't know if what he did worked until the next day.
The noise is still there whether something is plugged into the outlets or not. If I push the test button on the outlets, the noise ceases, but restarts when I reset them. We unplug the toaster when it buzzes, but it doesn't affect the noise in the other outlets.
Has anyone had a similar problem?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects