Two GFI outlets, my toaster, and my circuit breaker panel hum between the hours of about 5 p.m. and about 8 a.m. (it was 6 p.m. - 9 a.m. before the time change) The noise starts out soft, and gets louder until it is more like a clicking sound, and then it stops. You must have your ear near the outlet or toaster to pick up the hum. The sound is most prominent in our bathroom outlet. Each GFI outlet and the toaster are on a different circuit.
We have changed out the two outlets, the electric company has monitered the voltage at the meter and found no problems, our electrician has tightened up the wires, and changed out one circuit breaker (not one on the offending circuits) because he thought it was the source of the sound, all to no avail. The hardest thing is that when the power is turned off while trying to solve the problem, the hum usually stops until about 5 p.m. again, so the electrician doesn't know if what he did worked until the next day.
The noise is still there whether something is plugged into the outlets or not. If I push the test button on the outlets, the noise ceases, but restarts when I reset them. We unplug the toaster when it buzzes, but it doesn't affect the noise in the other outlets.
Has anyone had a similar problem?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!