Does anyone know anything about bathroom ventilation systems? The fairly new Nutone ventilation units in the two bathrooms in my house don't seem to be doing the trick. After a shower, the moisture and steam seems to stick to the walls and mirror and does not dissipate for some time. The bathrooms are not large -- about 40 sq. ft. I've already called two electricians.
One recommended installing Panasonic 110 cfm exhaust fan units in each bathroom. He said he has no stake in what I choose because he makes his money on the labor, but that the supplier (who also sells FanTech products) said the Panasonic was a superior product.
The second recommended installing a FanTech 230 cfm unit in the attic and then running ductwork connecting that fan to vents in both bathrooms. He said that a ceiling unit like the Panasonic (and my Nutone) merely moves the air around and doesn't have sufficient force to pull the humid air out like the FanTech product.
I don't know the cfm of my current fans, but I think they're less than 110. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
To work properly, a bathroom fan needs three things: proper ducting to the outside, adequate airflow into the bathroom, and proper sizing for the room. Both the Fantech and the Panasonic are good products, but so are Nutone/Broan. Check to see that the existing fan is properly installed and crack a door open when running the fan to provide adequate airflow in.
6 yr old Broan Solitaire S130 bathroom fan - problems
Bathroom Ventilation Problem
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps