Does anyone know anything about bathroom ventilation systems? The fairly new Nutone ventilation units in the two bathrooms in my house don't seem to be doing the trick. After a shower, the moisture and steam seems to stick to the walls and mirror and does not dissipate for some time. The bathrooms are not large -- about 40 sq. ft. I've already called two electricians.
One recommended installing Panasonic 110 cfm exhaust fan units in each bathroom. He said he has no stake in what I choose because he makes his money on the labor, but that the supplier (who also sells FanTech products) said the Panasonic was a superior product.
The second recommended installing a FanTech 230 cfm unit in the attic and then running ductwork connecting that fan to vents in both bathrooms. He said that a ceiling unit like the Panasonic (and my Nutone) merely moves the air around and doesn't have sufficient force to pull the humid air out like the FanTech product.
I don't know the cfm of my current fans, but I think they're less than 110. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
To work properly, a bathroom fan needs three things: proper ducting to the outside, adequate airflow into the bathroom, and proper sizing for the room. Both the Fantech and the Panasonic are good products, but so are Nutone/Broan. Check to see that the existing fan is properly installed and crack a door open when running the fan to provide adequate airflow in.
6 yr old Broan Solitaire S130 bathroom fan - problems
Bathroom Ventilation Problem
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes