I know I've heard of a process where you can wallpaper over paneling. I need to know what the correct process is. Isn't there a special paper to apply 1st that creates a flat surface without the ridges? We just bought an older mobile home and it needs brightening...paint & paper. Thanks.
I'm thinking of buying an old mobile and have the same need. I'm thinking of filling in the grooves with maybe drywall mud, then spraying on a texture coat, then painting.
I can't remember where I posted this answer before- but I'll rewrite it. Wipe down all walls with alcohol( not the drinking kind-unless you want to)This dulls the surface a bit and cleans it a bit. Wash the walls down, rinse well. At first I used kilz as a base coat, but found it was too much work. Eventually I just stuck with the prepasted wallpaper- used for paneling. I found it at the home warehouse. It comes in textures, and borders to match. It's heavy, and slides all over the place but once you smooth and position it sticks. Covers up the ridges too. And it's paintable/washable. I've had it up for over a year and no peeling or tears- and with 4 kids I have washed the heck out of it. I used a semi-gloss latex paint. Soaks it up so you'll have to use at least 2 coats. I love this stuff. Just wish I could remember the brand name. Wall-tex is one brand- but it's not the one I used. GL!!!!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!