I know I've heard of a process where you can wallpaper over paneling. I need to know what the correct process is. Isn't there a special paper to apply 1st that creates a flat surface without the ridges? We just bought an older mobile home and it needs brightening...paint & paper. Thanks.
I'm thinking of buying an old mobile and have the same need. I'm thinking of filling in the grooves with maybe drywall mud, then spraying on a texture coat, then painting.
I can't remember where I posted this answer before- but I'll rewrite it. Wipe down all walls with alcohol( not the drinking kind-unless you want to)This dulls the surface a bit and cleans it a bit. Wash the walls down, rinse well. At first I used kilz as a base coat, but found it was too much work. Eventually I just stuck with the prepasted wallpaper- used for paneling. I found it at the home warehouse. It comes in textures, and borders to match. It's heavy, and slides all over the place but once you smooth and position it sticks. Covers up the ridges too. And it's paintable/washable. I've had it up for over a year and no peeling or tears- and with 4 kids I have washed the heck out of it. I used a semi-gloss latex paint. Soaks it up so you'll have to use at least 2 coats. I love this stuff. Just wish I could remember the brand name. Wall-tex is one brand- but it's not the one I used. GL!!!!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!