I know I've heard of a process where you can wallpaper over paneling. I need to know what the correct process is. Isn't there a special paper to apply 1st that creates a flat surface without the ridges? We just bought an older mobile home and it needs brightening...paint & paper. Thanks.
I'm thinking of buying an old mobile and have the same need. I'm thinking of filling in the grooves with maybe drywall mud, then spraying on a texture coat, then painting.
I can't remember where I posted this answer before- but I'll rewrite it. Wipe down all walls with alcohol( not the drinking kind-unless you want to)This dulls the surface a bit and cleans it a bit. Wash the walls down, rinse well. At first I used kilz as a base coat, but found it was too much work. Eventually I just stuck with the prepasted wallpaper- used for paneling. I found it at the home warehouse. It comes in textures, and borders to match. It's heavy, and slides all over the place but once you smooth and position it sticks. Covers up the ridges too. And it's paintable/washable. I've had it up for over a year and no peeling or tears- and with 4 kids I have washed the heck out of it. I used a semi-gloss latex paint. Soaks it up so you'll have to use at least 2 coats. I love this stuff. Just wish I could remember the brand name. Wall-tex is one brand- but it's not the one I used. GL!!!!
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING