I have a gray stained wood plank ceiling in my family room. I would like to lighten up the ceiling but hate to paint over stained wood. I'm pretty sure I can't restain over the gray to lighten it and I don't want to sand the entire ceiling. Is there something I can do to lighten the ceiling without painting over the stain. I was wondering if whitewashing would work?
You basically have nothing to lose by pickle staining the wood. I recommend you look up a pre-mixed pickle stain rather than white wash, but the effect is basically similar. Both are a thin stain with thinned white pigment. It will lighten the gray stained wood without fully masking the grain. The final color result is a little unpredictable, and should be adjustible with technique. It should look fine. Pickle staining is often used over dark woods like redwood or cedar to lighten, and the end result is a light to medium color with distinct grain. The pigment is most drawn to the softer wood and the grain is exposed by wiping before it dries. Never tried it on gray, but it should cover. In any event, if it does not work out you can always prime and paint.
Maybe I should be asking can I stain over / around a...
Painting over formica
covering dark panelling - on a budget
HELP! Painting Over Stained Woodwork
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes