Installing recessed lighting in a plaster ceiling. Cut the first LAYER (drywall) of the first hole. Above the drywall was some lath. I cut that, too. Above that, though, was another level of wood (about two inches about the lath -- nothing but a thin layer of plaster and then air in between). Above this layer (if you're still with me, I'm talking about the wood above the air/plaster that's above the lath that's above the drywall) is a few inches of rock...like rocks you'd find near a river.
As an FYI, my bathroom is right above this area. When I checked the access panel and saw the plumbing and the tub, the area underneath it also had rocks and other stuff. The area I happen to be working on right now, though, is not under the tub.
SO, my questions:
- rocks in ceilings -- normal?
- purpose of rocks in ceilings?
- can I still manage to put in cans?
I know this probably isn't clear, but if some of you can take a crack at it, I'd appreciate it. I can send pictures if necessary.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps