Installing recessed lighting in a plaster ceiling. Cut the first LAYER (drywall) of the first hole. Above the drywall was some lath. I cut that, too. Above that, though, was another level of wood (about two inches about the lath -- nothing but a thin layer of plaster and then air in between). Above this layer (if you're still with me, I'm talking about the wood above the air/plaster that's above the lath that's above the drywall) is a few inches of rock...like rocks you'd find near a river.
As an FYI, my bathroom is right above this area. When I checked the access panel and saw the plumbing and the tub, the area underneath it also had rocks and other stuff. The area I happen to be working on right now, though, is not under the tub.
SO, my questions:
- rocks in ceilings -- normal?
- purpose of rocks in ceilings?
- can I still manage to put in cans?
I know this probably isn't clear, but if some of you can take a crack at it, I'd appreciate it. I can send pictures if necessary.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes