Installing recessed lighting in a plaster ceiling. Cut the first LAYER (drywall) of the first hole. Above the drywall was some lath. I cut that, too. Above that, though, was another level of wood (about two inches about the lath -- nothing but a thin layer of plaster and then air in between). Above this layer (if you're still with me, I'm talking about the wood above the air/plaster that's above the lath that's above the drywall) is a few inches of rock...like rocks you'd find near a river.
As an FYI, my bathroom is right above this area. When I checked the access panel and saw the plumbing and the tub, the area underneath it also had rocks and other stuff. The area I happen to be working on right now, though, is not under the tub.
SO, my questions:
- rocks in ceilings -- normal?
- purpose of rocks in ceilings?
- can I still manage to put in cans?
I know this probably isn't clear, but if some of you can take a crack at it, I'd appreciate it. I can send pictures if necessary.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them