Installing recessed lighting in a plaster ceiling. Cut the first LAYER (drywall) of the first hole. Above the drywall was some lath. I cut that, too. Above that, though, was another level of wood (about two inches about the lath -- nothing but a thin layer of plaster and then air in between). Above this layer (if you're still with me, I'm talking about the wood above the air/plaster that's above the lath that's above the drywall) is a few inches of rock...like rocks you'd find near a river.
As an FYI, my bathroom is right above this area. When I checked the access panel and saw the plumbing and the tub, the area underneath it also had rocks and other stuff. The area I happen to be working on right now, though, is not under the tub.
SO, my questions:
- rocks in ceilings -- normal?
- purpose of rocks in ceilings?
- can I still manage to put in cans?
I know this probably isn't clear, but if some of you can take a crack at it, I'd appreciate it. I can send pictures if necessary.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY