Installing recessed lighting in a plaster ceiling. Cut the first LAYER (drywall) of the first hole. Above the drywall was some lath. I cut that, too. Above that, though, was another level of wood (about two inches about the lath -- nothing but a thin layer of plaster and then air in between). Above this layer (if you're still with me, I'm talking about the wood above the air/plaster that's above the lath that's above the drywall) is a few inches of rock...like rocks you'd find near a river.
As an FYI, my bathroom is right above this area. When I checked the access panel and saw the plumbing and the tub, the area underneath it also had rocks and other stuff. The area I happen to be working on right now, though, is not under the tub.
SO, my questions:
- rocks in ceilings -- normal?
- purpose of rocks in ceilings?
- can I still manage to put in cans?
I know this probably isn't clear, but if some of you can take a crack at it, I'd appreciate it. I can send pictures if necessary.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs