Metal roof & Skylights
However, there are situations where you can't do that as the manufacturer did not anticipate the material you want to use. In that case, we use some basic principles to guide us (we have installed many metal roofs, with or without skylights). Remove the outside part of the skylight and waterproof the internal frame with membrane or similar material. Provide an exit path for any water that the membrane may catch. Flash the internal frame with an appropriate flashing (we use what we call the end-wall flashing), so that it holds the metal roofing material in a water-proof channel. Make sure the water channel has an appropriate exit (otherwise the water goes into the roof). Caulk the joints (metal to metal joints can leak), and replace the outside cover of the skylight.
In situations where we cannot get the manufacturer's recommended kit, we end up field-forming the flashings to allow a custom fit to the situation at hand. In some cases, we've had to reinstall the skylight assembly itself as the original installation was not properly done. We usually ask the field rep of the skylight manufacturer to verify our work (to preserve the warranty), and so far we've had no problems.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!