I am interested in replacing my vinyl flooring with wood laminate. I was told that it would not stand up to the beating my dog will give it. He is approx 130 lbs and has strong nails...(he dug through my vinyl flooring during a thunderstorm---no seam was in sight). He is very hard on the floor and I want to put in something that will last. A contractor told me that ceramic tile is not an alternative because the subfloor consists of one 3/4 inch layer of OSB (not stable enough) and that there is not enough room to put down the thickness of subfloor needed. I've always had my heart set on wood floors (be it real or laminate) but I am concerned about the durability. The area to be replaced would spand from the living room through the kitchen/dining area and into a half bath. What would be the best choice for flooring in these areas keeping in mind---the dog?
try this test ,pick a few brands of laminate at your local show room,take a quarter and rub it as hard as you can across the laminate ,try to scratch it,you will find it's very tough. good luck
We have Wilson Art Laminate which is supposed to be one of the best, and we have scratches on it from our dogs. They are not very noticeable, but they are there.
we put in Pergo in our kitchen and are very happy with it. It is designed to look like old wood with a lot of grain in it. If their are any scratches in it I cant tell. We have a 100 lb german shephard that runs thru there and it does not appear to get scratched from him and we have also dropped several heavy glasses on it with no negative results.
Look for a finish that has either aluminum oxide or is a ceramic finish and you wil have found the hardest surface for your application. Dont go to any home center for this stuff, you will need to go to a true flooring store with knowledgable staff who know what they are selling and they will show you what brands are best for this. As for Pergo, stray away from that brand, they dont honor the warranties, and when they do they take their sweet time doing it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!